X.Org Server & XWayland Updated Due To Another Six Security Vulnerabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server & XWayland Updated Due To Another Six Security Vulnerabilities

Phoronix: X.Org Server & XWayland Updated Due To Another Six Security Vulnerabilities

It was in 2013 a security researcher called the X.Org Server security state "worse than it looks" and quite a disaster from the security/bug perspective for the aging codebase. A decade later there's still no shortage of security vulnerabilities being uncovered within the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let's not have yet another pointless flame war in the comments thread this time. There is nothing to be gained going down that path.

Comment

Any time anyone with real skills combs through the hair of xserver a handful of bugs fall out Wayland cannot become default everywhere fast enough.

One would think it would be only wayland that has constant security vulnerabilities being discovered since it is about 30 years younger than X, but apparently sane design can take you a long way.

Comment

speaking of xwayland, is there any compositor aside from KDE that has good xwayland scaling support? Something I have been wanting to try for a while is using a wayland compositor strictly for xWayland support (IE. Globally unsetting WAYLAND_DISPLAY) but it seems like only kde handles xwayland semi-decently

Comment

this is why we need wayland

Comment

C++ with establishment of Pointers Rulez them All and therefore would be banished by the law of compiler, maybe some proprietary lang if and only if occured

Comment

LOL!
              Imagine still using X in 2024...
              I bet this will still not scare Linux Mint fanboys!
              As for them "Well, it works!" it's normally the only requirement.

Congratulations to the developers of KDE Plasma and Gnome for taking privacy and security seriously and congratulations to the Linux distro developers who don't refuse to provide first-class support for them!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                LOL!

Congratulations to the developers of KDE Plasma and Gnome for taking privacy and security seriously and congratulations to the Linux distro developers who don't refuse to provide first-class support for them!
                "It works" is the first requirement. All other considerations are meaningless if "it doesn't work".

@varikonniemi
                Let's see what happens when Wayland is finally used by everyone.
                Of course I'll be happy if the new design works better and has fewer security issues

PS: I can't wait to go wayland only, I just can't do it right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  LOL!

congratulations to the wayland developers that have completely destroyed A11y support, and to the developers who are actively making it harder and harder to use x, A real stand up job showing those pathetic cripples where they stand

Comment

SELinux context corruption, so the context in the kernel gets corrupted (which would be a kernel issue) or is it more like a crossing a security boundary?

Comment

Working...
                    X