KDE's Nate Graham On X11 Being A Bad Platform & The Wayland Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by royce View Post
    I have been using exclusively wayland via sway for 4 years now and I have zero issues and nothing that doesn't work.
    As everyone that's actually using it and respecting applications preference is they want to use Wayland or if they'd prefer to stick to XWayland for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
      Alright, and where is HDR support for X11?
      Did anyone claim that x11 is modern, future or anything? The moment wayland developers said they would not implement some features because it's not waylands job, i knew it's adoption would need at least 25 years. Linux is not N1 desktop platform because it's too fragmented. Everyone does it's own thing. Wayland is making it even worse! Wayland users themselves say: "wayland is just a protocol". Yes so that every WM/DE must do hard work, implement all those features that wayland won't do, hence even more fragmentation.
      I will not be surprised at all if there will be new "wayland" attempt in 2025-2030 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

been using sway for a long time too now, sadly I have had lots of issues since then, but hey, at least I have touch now
        Let me guess, you either work on crappy Nvidia hardware or are messing with settings you shouldn't? Because nobody else that isn't has problems worth mentioning.

Comment

Originally posted by t1r0nama View Post

Did anyone claim that x11 is modern, future or anything? The moment wayland developers said they would not implement some features because it's not waylands job, i knew it's adoption would need at least 25 years. Linux is not N1 desktop platform because it's too fragmented. Everyone does it's own thing. Wayland is making it even worse! Wayland users themselves say: "wayland is just a protocol". Yes so that every WM/DE must do hard work, implement all those features that wayland won't do, hence even more fragmentation.
          I will not be surprised at all if there will be new "wayland" attempt in 2025-2030 years.
          Or they just use wlroot and call it a day? And no, adoption doesn't take 25 years, it's already there right now. Of course as all those morons defending X show, you don't have full Wayland adoption before dropping it from entry distro, toolkit and dropping support from every DE. But that'll be just another few years.

PS: ask Avis, Quackdoc and what those morons are called. They actually claim X to be modern and the future. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
            I have been using exclusively wayland via sway for 4 years now and I have zero issues and nothing that doesn't work.
            Do you even steam bro? If yes, then you are using Xwayland else, you probably are using small number of specific software that works with pure wayland. In either the fact it works for you means nothing, because it obviously does not work for far too many people.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Let me guess, you either work on crappy Nvidia hardware or are messing with settings you shouldn't? Because nobody else that isn't has problems worth mentioning.
              no on both accounts lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post

That is to say, never, because Wayland doesn't have a unified library or a unified server like Xorg. For each DE you have to make a different implementation of the graphics server, which multiples fragmentation by 100 if not more.

Good luck maintaining your own server, we'd rather use Xorg instead.
                I am tired of hearing stuff like this. Xorg is an IMPLEMENTATION of the X11 PROTOCOL.

If you don't want fragmentation, get everybody to agree on *ONE* compositor. There, you have exactly the same situation as now.

Oh... wait! the X11 protocol is so absolutely bonkers that nobody has been able to have an alternative implementation (and, believe me, people have *tried*)

Comment

Originally posted by t1r0nama View Post
                  If wayland is so much modern and so much better then x11, then where is HDR support for wayland?
                  kwin on wayland does have HDR.

And, surprise, this isn't anywhere in org and it likely will never be

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post

kwin on wayland does have HDR.

And, surprise, this isn't anywhere in org and it likely will never be
                    wasn't this literally just added a couple weeks ago, and completely irrelevant to any wayland protocol? if we are satisfied with hacking something together, adding X support wont be too hard

Comment

Originally posted by browseria View Post

Every page of the Wayland Protocols Explorer website lists the Wayland compositors which implement it, and the date they last checked the implemention it. It's in the e.g. "Compositor Support" section.
                      I don't even know how to read that page. It says "staging" or "unstable" on a lot of things, but Wayland seems to be a category on its own.
                      Ironically, the picture you picked as an example, shows a bit of functionality that is not actually available in Weston. I didn't even know that was possible, I thought Weston was the reference implementation.
                      Last edited by bug77; 27 December 2023, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X