wlroots 0.17 Adds New Wayland Protocols, Continued Vulkan Renderer Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With regard to Budgie, here's the long explanation:
    Let's talk about our plans for Wayland support for Budgie Desktop and the work we are doing to make it a reality.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Any plans for KDE trabsitioning to wlroots, Louvre or similar? Any efforts by KDE to share code between other FOSS projects? Budgie is interested on this, along Xfce LXQt etc.
      Read this blog post which states: "And there’s a chance we might port KWin to use wlroots in the future.": https://pointieststick.com/2023/09/1...wayland-thing/

romangg
      What do you think too?
      KWinFT already uses wlroots: https://subdiff.org/blog/2021/wlroots-in-kwinft

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
        In my opinion, the last thing we need in the 21. century, is another C project which many projects depend on. I've looked into the code and it's the typical C-stuff: Reimplementing a linked list, reimplementing a for-each-loop, manually parsing like the Linux kernel version and so on. Really stupid, error-prone and security-relevant stuff are manually reimplemented and other projects are adopting it. Really, why are so many Linux/Unix-guys so backwards-oriented?
        This project has been created while there was modern C++ and Rust.
        Amen. Seriously wtf. At this point when I see a potentially interesting project I just immediately lose interest when I see they've chosen C.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

There is Sway, Hyperland and as far as I know also Mate and Cinnamon plan to adopt wlroots. I've also read that even KDE is thinking about using wlroots in the long term.
          In my opinion, the last thing we need in the 21. century, is another C project which many projects depend on. I've looked into the code and it's the typical C-stuff: Reimplementing a linked list, reimplementing a for-each-loop, manually parsing like the Linux kernel version and so on. Really stupid, error-prone and security-relevant stuff are manually reimplemented and other projects are adopting it. Really, why are so many Linux/Unix-guys so backwards-oriented?
          This project has been created while there was modern C++ and Rust.
          the idea that C++ is somehow this miracle tool compared to C is flawed, I myself absolutely hate C++, when possible I try to avoid it like the plague since my brain just doesnt work that way, no matter how much I try to bash it into my head. It's just simply too much for me. C on the other hand, not a massive fan of it, but I can work with it at least

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

the idea that C++ is somehow this miracle tool compared to C is flawed, I myself absolutely hate C++, when possible I try to avoid it like the plague since my brain just doesnt work that way, no matter how much I try to bash it into my head. It's just simply too much for me. C on the other hand, not a massive fan of it, but I can work with it at least
            Always the same argument against C++, "i am too stupid to use it therefore it sucks". Yeah i don't trust you with C either.

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post

Amen. Seriously wtf. At this point when I see a potentially interesting project I just immediately lose interest when I see they've chosen C.
              This comment actually made me look a bit into the topic and it seems like it's just difficult to do this in Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

What programming languages do you like?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Always the same argument against C++, "i am too stupid to use it therefore it sucks". Yeah i don't trust you with C either.
                  what the hell does it have to do with intelligence? there are people who can code really well in python, but terrible in rust, People who can code great in kotlin and horrible in go. just because someone is bad with a language, doesn't mean they are bad with all languages​

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

What programming languages do you like?
                  Im fine with good old C, but I really do like using dart and rust lately. Rust is still hard for me since I find working cross threads and sharing data with callbacks and stuff hard, but I do like dart for programming, maybe this is specifically because of flutter or maybe not, but I find that working with dart is really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by nadir View Post

This comment actually made me look a bit into the topic and it seems like it's just difficult to do this in Rust.
                    Well, this blog post is about a Rust wrapper for wlroots. But if you have a pure Rust lib, you don't have this issue. There is actually a wayland-lib, called Smithay, which the next generation of Cosmic Desktop uses.

Comment

Working...
                    X