XWayland 23.2 Released With Tearing Control, Resizable Rootful, EI Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland 23.2 Released With Tearing Control, Resizable Rootful, EI Support

Phoronix: XWayland 23.2 Released With Tearing Control, Resizable Rootful, EI Support

XWayland 23.2 is out as stable today for this X.Org Server code for enjoying X11 window/client support within Wayland compositors. Several new features are implemented for this XWayland 23.2 milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My X11 pals will be very pleased with this.

Comment

The end game is $FAVORITEX11WM on Xwayland on Wayland as dumb pipe.

Comment

You're tearing me apart, wayland

Comment

2018: OMG after years of work we can finally render without tearing!

2023: OMG after years of work we can allow tearing for MOAR FPS!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            2018: OMG after years of work we can finally render without tearing!

2023: OMG after years of work we can allow tearing for MOAR FPS!
            Allowing tearing isn't meant to increase FPS, it's to increase responsiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by ridge View Post
              You're tearing me apart, wayland
              Why are you so hysterical?

Comment

Assuming I download and install XWayland 23.2
                Do I need to enable anything for tearing to be enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                  Do I need to enable anything for tearing to be enabled?​
                  Bear in mind I haven't been able to get any game to exhibit tearing even with vsync off and exclusive fullscreen selected.

Anyways, it might depend on your compositor. In KDE for example, you have to make sure "Reduce latency by allowing screen tearing artifacts in fullscreen windows" is enabled. You find this in Settings -> Screen and monitor -> Compositor. It's enabled by default, mind you.

On other compositors, maybe there's a similar thing.

Even with that toggle on, and MESA_VK_WSI_PRESENT mode set to immediate, I can't get tearing in my games, vsync is always on.. strange stuff​

Comment

Originally posted by ridge View Post

Bear in mind I haven't been able to get any game to exhibit tearing even with vsync off and exclusive fullscreen selected.

Anyways, it might depend on your compositor. In KDE for example, you have to make sure "Reduce latency by allowing screen tearing artifacts in fullscreen windows" is enabled. You find this in Settings -> Screen and monitor -> Compositor. It's enabled by default, mind you.

On other compositors, maybe there's a similar thing.

Even with that toggle on, and MESA_VK_WSI_PRESENT mode set to immediate, I can't get tearing in my games, vsync is always on.. strange stuff​
                    perhaps you also have VRR enabled?

Comment

Working...
                    X