Wayland 1.22 Released With New Preferred Buffer Scale & Transform Protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jarekZ View Post

to make other people accept your contributions, you're supposed to discuss and coordinate your efforts with them.

So just for example. There's such merge request (in gitlab they call it merge, not pull requests) already: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...ge_requests/28. So indeed, if you will generously come up with something new then it will be outright rejected.
    Yes, and what I am saying is they won't let me fix it because it's broken by design.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

What are you giving up?
      For one, stability, but of course, we can just blame downstream for that. The shortcomings of Wayland are so well documented, I am not going to write up an essay here with references for you. I encourage you to drop the "it works on my computer" mindset and understand the reasons why Wayland is a failed idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnacle View Post
        The problems are the the design of Wayland making uptake nearly impossible. If they could have kept it somewhat inline with the way existing display servers work, maybe it wouldn't take decades of work for the downstream developers to implement. It's not as if there is any real advantage to using Wayland to justify everything you are giving up to use Wayland.​
        Inline with what display server. Secure X11 being X11 + xace is more not usable than Wayland. options. x.org X11 server without xace from a government security feature requirement list is well behind Windows and Mac OS.

xace prevents applications from screen capture and global input and so on. Just watch 90% of X11 applications short cut keys fail because how they implemented short cut keys just because you enable xace.

Wayland protocol is inline with existing display server behavior just not how your are use to it configured. Just happens to be X.org X11 server with xace.

Cover the worst behaviors of X.org X11 server with xace. Xace integrates with selinux this is mandatory access control another mean of this you spend like half a day doing something in a program and you do one operation that it was not approved todo and the program gets instantly terminated and purged from memory so all data is absolutely lost. It can get even worse than that rolling back all file system writes because the application had to have been compromised for it to do something that was not in the selinux approved profile.

Compared x.org X11 with xace enabled to this wayland solutions are angels where you simply cannot do a list of things.

https://www.phoronix.com/news/KDE-XWaylandVideoBridge dbus solutions to access stuff also mostly avoids this instant termination problem.

Of course most people compare Wayland protocol to X11 protocol without xace enabled because that is what they are use to. Do note that KDE Xwayland VideoBridge is in alignment with xace concepts that come from government requested security features that applications should not be able to see other applications unless approved to-do so.

Getting xace level security without being absolutely evil to end users is not simple.

Yes some of the missing features from XWayland and Wayland do line up to the government requirements where those operations should require authentication before application can do them for the highest level of security rating.
        Last edited by oiaohm; 05 April 2023, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          I am going to assume the scaling stuff is basically catching up to something like this:

Code:
          $ xrandr --output HDMI-1 --scale 1.25x1.25
          No. The new scaling stuff is per surface, not per output.

Comment

The new scaling per surface could be useful. Since X11 apps scale unevenly under the same fractional scaling of Wayland. For example, I only want to scale Steam but leave GIMP do its own scaling. Looking forward to have all apps dropped X11, everything working only in Wayland.

Comment

Working...
            X