Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 44 Mutter Adds fractional_scale_v1 Wayland Support

Phoronix: GNOME 44 Mutter Adds fractional_scale_v1 Wayland Support

While GNOME 3.32 saw initial work on fractional scaling support for the GNOME Shell and Mutter compositor, the upcoming GNOME 44 release is bringing support for Wayland's fractional_scale_v1 protocol...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

🎉
    Great news! I look forward to Gnome supporting fractional scaling. Good work devs!
    🎉

Comment

Looks like they're pushing a lot of late new stuff for this release and while it is a bit worrysome, I see it as a sign of the project being alive and full of energy.

Good!

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
        Looks like they're pushing a lot of late new stuff for this release and while it is a bit worrysome, I see it as a sign of the project being alive and full of energy.
        These MRs have been open for many months, with a lot of reviewing, so I would not be worried

Comment

Does this mean I can finally select 150 or 175 for scaling in the display options? (Instead of 100, 200 etc)

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
            Does this mean I can finally select 150 or 175 for scaling in the display options? (Instead of 100, 200 etc)
            This was already possible before using this experimental option: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HiDPI#Wayland

This was also necessary for different scaling among monitors.

Comment

As darkdragon pointed out, you could already set a fractional scale in a Gnome Wayland session before but all applications would render at the next highest integer scale and the compositor would scale it down to the fractional scale. This would allow the compositor to communicate a fractional scale to the applications and, if they support fractional scaling, they render at that scale and don't need to be re-scaled by the compositor. My understanding is that applications that only support integer scales (all GTK apps) would tell the compositor they're using an integer scale and the old behavior will be followed.

Comment

No it does not, simply because you have no need for such a feature and you would never use it anyway.

Gnome has supported scaling by 150 % and 175 % for a long time. I'm pretty sure I've been using 175 % scaling eversince I bought my current laptop back in October 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                  No it does not, simply because you have no need for such a feature and you would never use it anyway.

Gnome has supported scaling by 150 % and 175 % for a long time. I'm pretty sure I've been using 175 % scaling eversince I bought my current laptop back in October 2019.
                  What? Why would you say they don't need fractional scaling and wouldn't use it? How would you know? And why say that when you're using the exact same scaling percentage?

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

It has always been considered experimental and disabled by default unless you manually enable it via console.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X