Wayland Protocol Finally Ready For Fractional Scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

That's the one that would make me the most happy!
    I still miss Windows because I cannot push HDR-enabled movies or Youtube videos to my HDR-capable TV.
    Putting movies on a pen drive and stick it in the TV is not something that I like to do much when I want to watch a HDR-enabled movie.

So, I'm really glad that other work is out of the way for the developers to focus on supporting color management and HDR.

Honestly I wish Valve would give a hand with this as it would benefit their users a lot with being able to play HDR-enabled movies, Youtube videos and games on the Steam Deck, besides Linux computers in general.
    benefit how? steam deck doesn't have HDR screen. in fact, its screen is pretty shitty even as an SDR screen.

and you can always tonemap HDR content to SDR screens in software, mpv even supports dolby vision.

true HDR support will take years, because once everything works between the kernel and mesa, people will start to argue about the proper way to do HDR compositing with tonemapped SDR apps thrown into the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Nope. 10-bit color, HDMI CEC, HDMI Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), VESA Adaptive-Sync, Nvidia G-Sync, AMD FreeSync. Deep color 30-bit (10 bits per channel), 36-bit (12 bits per channel), 48-bit (16 bits per channel).
      I can live without high bit color depths: unless you're doing black and white photography they aren't deal breakers like proper color management.
      HDMI may as well die because of the royalties, I'd rather prefer to use DisplayPort (things might be different if you want to use a television rather than a PC monitor).
      Proprietary G-Sync standards should also die: we already have VESA Adaptive-Sync and that's what we should support instead.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by unic0rn View Post
        and you can always tonemap HDR content to SDR screens in software, mpv even supports dolby vision.

true HDR support will take years, because once everything works between the kernel and mesa, people will start to argue about the proper way to do HDR compositing with tonemapped SDR apps thrown into the mix.
        You can tonemap HDR to SDR and I think you can also watch HDR content on HDR screens in exclusive mode, but you can't keep your monitor in HDR mode and selectively tonemap SDR content. I think this is the proper way to handle things.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by murlakatamenka View Post
          Hope to see Steam client at 150% scaling while I'm still alive

On Linux, not on Шindoшs, of course.
          Shindoshs?

Comment

Honestly it is pretty useless(blurs the image and it doesn't bring much that just increasing the fonts won't bring to most people) but i am glad it exists so that means that all the chronic complainers will stop pestering every news article with their hate for Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              Honestly it is pretty useless(blurs the image and it doesn't bring much that just increasing the fonts won't bring to most people) but i am glad it exists so that means that all the chronic complainers will stop pestering every news article with their hate for Wayland.
              You honestly believe so many users have been asking for this because it's useless and they are all haters?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Nope. 10-bit color, HDMI CEC, HDMI Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), VESA Adaptive-Sync, Nvidia G-Sync, AMD FreeSync. Deep color 30-bit (10 bits per channel), 36-bit (12 bits per channel), 48-bit (16 bits per channel).
                Well..

10 bit color (and more) Yes must have.

HDMI CEC has nothing to do with Wayland.
                Variable refresh rate should be supported in principle by Wayland, but specifics like HDMI VRR, VESA adaptive sync, Gsync, freesync are domain of gpu driver. I would say Windows 10/11 way of supporting variable refresh rate is the way to go.

Comment

Can we get support for "windows position remember" or whatever it's called, for when screens go to sleep and wake up then all windows position are randomized instead of where they where? (I think it's only related to multi screens setup, I would say it's the priority as it's really annoying)

Screen resolution change for games? (Not like my Intel UHD 630 can do game in 4K... but can run a lot of light games in 1080p, which mean, in wayland, I only get 1/4 of the screen covered with the game)

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
                    We're living in the future!
                    And by future, you mean past, right?, all this is taking way too long to arrive, other platforms have had it for years.

Comment

Originally posted by samuelec View Post
                      Eureka! Would say Archimedes
                      Archimedes would say "wtf is Wayland??" (in ancient Greek)

Comment

Working...
                      X