Wayland Protocol Finally Ready For Fractional Scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Surely not, but of course many users here are a bit spoiled, I don't know anyone who has a 4K monitor and I assure you I know a lot of people. However good for them ... let's say that is not really the norm.
    I suppose you don't know me but I have 3 not including a couple high dpi laptop screens. They are affordable, nice to read on, and work very well with macOS. The Linux situation is a lot messier and I've found the easiest approach is to set the scale factor in sway but it makes Xorg blurry. Setting font sizes etc. really falls apart with multiple distinct displays.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post

I suppose you don't know me but I have 3 not including a couple high dpi laptop screens. They are affordable, nice to read on, and work very well with macOS. The Linux situation is a lot messier and I've found the easiest approach is to set the scale factor in sway but it makes Xorg blurry. Setting font sizes etc. really falls apart with multiple distinct displays.
      Steam survey shows 3.63% of users have > 1440p monitors. About 15% at 1440p, and the vast majority still at 1080p.

Comment

Only thing wayland protocol is ready for is a kiosk.

Maybe by some stretch of the imagination it's ready for smartphone UIs too, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Steam survey shows 3.63% of users have > 1440p monitors. About 15% at 1440p, and the vast majority still at 1080p.
          Demand for fractional scaling support mostly stem from those tiny 1080p laptop screens. Running common 4k monitors in 200% scale is tolerable. But for 1080p laptop screen, the 200% scaled screen space is not enough for many program / system dialogs designed after 640x480 is history.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            Only thing wayland protocol is ready for is a kiosk.

Maybe by some stretch of the imagination it's ready for smartphone UIs too, but I wouldn't bet money on it.
            Yea, all of us using Wayland on our desktops are just less productive than you are. /s

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

Technology if it is working yes. Same for Gsync on nvidia.

Question is, is Wayland aware of variable refresh rate. Because the way to go with VRR is render desktop at (refresh rate - 3) fps and you can drop all those buffers that wayland uses to assure there is no tearing (in case of final frame, any buffers interacting between aplication window and final composing are probably still needed).
              I think some compositors are aware, but due to how wayland works im not sure it's much of an issue. at the very least, sway seems to work fine, I haven't dug into it though.

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Surely not, but of course many users here are a bit spoiled, I don't know anyone who has a 4K monitor and I assure you I know a lot of people. However good for them ... let's say that is not really the norm.
              The entry price for a 4k monitor is around 350 cad, 4k is increasingly more affordable and is being adopted more often due to the low entry bar for an acceptable 4k display​

Comment

Originally posted by unic0rn View Post

benefit how? steam deck doesn't have HDR screen. in fact, its screen is pretty shitty even as an SDR screen.

and you can always tonemap HDR content to SDR screens in software, mpv even supports dolby vision.

true HDR support will take years, because once everything works between the kernel and mesa, people will start to argue about the proper way to do HDR compositing with tonemapped SDR apps thrown into the mix.
                And what stops you to connect it to a HDR-capable screen (monitor or TV)?

And besides that, they coud probably ad and HDR to SDR convertion layer too for screens that are not capable of HDR.

MadVr on Windows, for example, let's you to either push the HDR-enabled movie with HDR metadata to a HDR-capable screen or convert it to SDR.

And in the future, probably newer versions of Steam Deck will have more capable screens.
                Last edited by Danny3; 26 November 2022, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Wayland have been moving at a snail's pace.

Comment

Originally posted by ripper81 View Post
                    Since AMD Freesync is just a brandname for their implementation of Vesa Adaptive Sync
                    Yes and no. Freesync 2 is a different beast AFAIK, with proprietary technology.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

Technology if it is working yes. Same for Gsync on nvidia.

Question is, is Wayland aware of variable refresh rate. Because the way to go with VRR is render desktop at (refresh rate - 3) fps and you can drop all those buffers that wayland uses to assure there is no tearing (in case of final frame, any buffers interacting between aplication window and final composing are probably still needed).
                      When on battery you probably want to use a refresh rate on the lower end of the spectrum too.
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X