Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Protocol Finally Ready For Fractional Scaling

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by openminded View Post

    If devs would focus on all random bugs in Plasma, Gnome, and so on, I don't mind that there's no HDR support. Frankly, it's just a minor thing. I'd rather have some robust wireless display implementation than HDR support.
    Currently issue with HDR, is that Windows has also not so great HDR support. So we end up in situation when :
    - major computer OSes don't support HDR properly,
    - major monitors are crappy HDR400 or no HDR at all.

    This is kind of reason that Linux catching up gives very few benefits. Even if Linux suddenly gave HDR support, there wouldn't be much content with HDR on linux (maybe movies with HDR in mind).

    Problem will rise the moment HDR support will improve in Windows. At that point HDR content might appear suddenly everywhere and Linux will be again behind.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

      Problem will rise the moment HDR support will improve in Windows. At that point HDR content might appear suddenly everywhere and Linux will be again behind.
      And still it's value is kind of questionable.
      I won't cry loud if Windows gets HDR and Linux is way behind in this regard. Not a big deal. To me, a big deal is when some laptop does sleep properly when running Windows, and fails to resume when it is running Linux -- that's a hell of a big deal. HDR? TF is that?

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

        I know the feeling, it's the same for me but I'm stuck with 2560x1440 because fractional scaling sucks in Linux.
        I would be willing to pay 800€ for a 5K screen but at that price range it should also be wide gamut, hardware calibrated, HDR1000+ and 120Hz+. Such monitors recently started to exist in 4K variants, but will never exist as 5K. Also Wayland needs to support HDR to be worth buying.
        I am not sure such monitor even exist. Last time I check, "wide gamut" or "HDR" monitors that can display 100% P3 is almost nowhere to be found. Manufacturers thump chest for their shiny "99% P3" monitors as if it is anything worth celebrate for. I guess to many consumers, HDR and wide gamut are only about displaying the same image or video brighter and more colourful.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
          Even if Linux suddenly gave HDR support, there wouldn't be much content with HDR on linux (maybe movies with HDR in mind).
          Naah, I can see darktable supporting HDR fairly easily once it lands in the major compositors and it would fit its linear-space scene-referred pipeline pretty well.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by billyswong View Post

            Last time I check, "wide gamut" or "HDR" monitors that can display 100% P3 is almost nowhere to be found. Manufacturers thump chest for their shiny "99% P3" monitors as if it is anything worth celebrate for.
            I don't care if its gamut superimpose P3 exactly or not, what I care is having a gamut whose **volume** is big enough to show me additional colors from my DSLR compared to the more traditional sRGB. A volume slightly bigger than Adobe RGB/P3 (without necessarily superimposing them in their entirety) would be plenty enough for my use case.
            I want to be able to edit my photos in a linear color space in darktable while tone mapping the huge dynamic range of my reflex to the fairly big dynamic range of an HDR1400 monitor. I don't give a f***k about poorly mastered HDR movies: I want to do my own tone mapping and be able to appreciate my photos without having to compress their dynamic range too much. I don't care if almost nobody else would be able to appreciate them: time will come where this won't be considered an alien workflow.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

              Currently issue with HDR, is that Windows has also not so great HDR support. So we end up in situation when :
              - major computer OSes don't support HDR properly,
              - major monitors are crappy HDR400 or no HDR at all.

              This is kind of reason that Linux catching up gives very few benefits. Even if Linux suddenly gave HDR support, there wouldn't be much content with HDR on linux (maybe movies with HDR in mind).

              Problem will rise the moment HDR support will improve in Windows. At that point HDR content might appear suddenly everywhere and Linux will be again behind.
              IIRC the gamescope fellas plan to do HDR work soon, this probably works since gamescope's kiosk like nature meaning it doesn't need to handle means it doesn't need to deal with apps fighting eachother.

              as for now, HDR is supported on linux, just not wayland or x11, I currently swap to a tty to launch MPV on the drm to view HDR content. on windows HDR works fine assuming the HDR app is full screen. for instance, when using MPV, if you want to watch HDR content, it will tonemap it until you open the video in fullscreen, in which case it will kick in HDR and send the metadata to the display.

              Comment


              • #67
                Now I don't want read any compliant on Wayland any more.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
                  Now I don't want read any compliant on Wayland any more.
                  lmao why? this is one issue solved that should have been solved years ago, there are still Plenty more to go lol

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by billyswong View Post
                    Running common 4k monitors in 200% scale is tolerable.
                    No, it is not tolerable to have a 27" 4K screen to effectively get a FullHD screen estate out of it. That’s why we want fractional scaling.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                      I'm stuck with 2560x1440 because fractional scaling sucks in Linux.
                      Huh? You can just use e.g. Plasma under X.org and manually set the global scale factor to something fractional (or adjust the font DPI setting + icons size setting separately). No reason to not upgrade to 4K, I did my upgrade from QHD to 4K seven years ago and even back then Plasma’s X.org scale tricks did work great. It will affect all Qt and GTK programs, Firefox may need manual adjustments and/or special variables (at least in the past).

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X