The State Of The Wayland Display Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    If there will be only one toolkit Wayland dev/devs will have less work to do The same about graphic cards drivers developers.
    You can extend this to the whole OS... Openess and diversity is what open-source is all about, we should not complain about it.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      I would use same name, because it's already well known and both are made by same people. Another reason is to not confusing users. I'm not sure if they differ in such level I mentioned before. I was just guessing why KDE devs chose to rewrite every application.
      Actually, in using the same name the KDE developers have shot themselves in the leg. If you have a history of releasing stably and then you 'release' something buggy and not on feature par with your previous releases, then such trust abuse will be met with cold shoulders.

If they named it something else, people like myself would be willing to consider KDE more seriously. Take a look at XFCE for a much better managed (and thus much applauded) release.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        What does GTK vs Qt have to do with Wayland? Oh, right. Nothing.

I look forward to seeing Wayland backends for both toolkits, not to mention Firefox and OOo and Cairo. I look forward to seeing if Wayland is actually usable as the actual desktop display server and not just as an X multiplexer, or to see if X just gets those same features and obviates Wayland. For all the complaints against X, it has kept up just fine so far, especially since the X.org rejuvenation. Time will tell, I suppose.
        a question (that hopefully will drive the discussion away from the fuckin GTK vs QT thing)

as far as i know firefox uses cairo (cairo is being ported to wayland), GTK (there is also a Clutter Backend for firefox and clutter is being ported to wayland)

woudnt all this mean that firefox will be usable once GTK stuff is ready

also appart from the server/client network thing what functionality of X is still necesary for a desktop??

Comment

Firefox doesn't use GTK, it uses xul and fakes the gtk widgets

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
            Desktop environments/window managers should also have a stable API too
            <troll>You mean like in Windows. </troll>

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              as far as i know firefox uses cairo (cairo is being ported to wayland), GTK (there is also a Clutter Backend for firefox and clutter is being ported to wayland)

woudnt all this mean that firefox will be usable once GTK stuff is ready

also appart from the server/client network thing what functionality of X is still necesary for a desktop??
              I'm pretty sure Firefox is peeking directly at events in X rather than using the higher level libraries for some of it's event handling code. It wouldn't surprise me if there of other X-isms as well, that would need to be ported or removed.

Comment

Working...
              X