XWayland "Rootfull" Changes Merged For Running A Complete Desktop Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
    I wonder what is the point of running Xwayland "root-full" with whole desktop environment. Isn't that just running X.Org Server but with extra step?
    It lets you run an x desktop as non-root and without a logind provider.

Comment

Finally we can fun fvwm2 again!

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
        Finally we can fun fvwm2 again!
        If you wanted to run fvwm2, you'd just run an X server.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          ....................new patches from Red Hat .................
          It's always Red Hat who fixes this stuff.

This is not me complaining, just pointing it out.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

If you wanted to run fvwm2, you'd just run an X server.
            "If you wanted to run [literally anything this enables] you'd just run an X server."

"If you wanted to run X11 apps you'd just run an X server instead of Xwayland."

"If you wanted to run an app from the 90s you'd just install a version of lInux from the 90s"

etc

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
              Not sure if this is on mark at all, but I thought it was pretty cool in a pure Wayland (setup) where I could be running Sway (light Wayland compositor) and then launch Hikari (another light Wayland compositor) within it.

Wondering in what is being talk about here, could I be running Sway and then launch say i3, or DWM, or whatever X11 DM within that Sway session? Not that I would want to, but this is what the article made me think about.
              Since I've got no shame, I'm quoting myself here. Got thinking more about this, and I think Steam may have something akin to this, but I propose a new Wayland compositor:

BMW (no, not "Bring Money With", that being advice you are given when taking a certain care make into the shop for repairs!) As in, "Bare Minimal Wayland", basically a Wayland shim layer.

This is perfect for the "I'll give you my Xmonad when you pry it from my cold, dead hands" set. With BMW, you can Xmodad (and Awesome, and DWM) to your hearts connect until the end of time!

I say let's get on it! This is of course a little satire, but not totally. Again, I think Steam has something like this for run X11 based games on top of Wayland/Xwayland.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

It's always Red Hat who fixes this stuff.

This is not me complaining, just pointing it out.
                Nah, they generally are just fixing their own breakages. It certainly sounds like they are are fixing their own mistake of jumping the gun to Wayland too early before it has properly matured.

For me, if Red Hat didn't exist, I would *still* be running Xorg just as I am now. They are effectively irrelevant. if you are going to put a company / project on a pedestal, go for Debian at least. It underlies much more of the ecosystem.

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                It lets you run an x desktop as non-root and without a logind provider.
                Since modesetting drivers, OpenBSD has supported this for a while with their Xorg. I assumed Linux distros had caught up?

Unrelated: replacing the "old cruft" underneath Xorg is good. If people want to call this cruft "Wayland", fine by me.
                Last edited by kpedersen; 01 July 2022, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

I fail to see the security improvement.
                  I can think of one already. screen saver/log in process in X can be killed/"worked around" as its separated X11 process. In Wayland, its part of actual protocol as far as I remember. So if you lock your PC, you lock wayland, not Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                    Before the flamewar starts:

I guess the idea is to be able to remove that bitrot parts of x.org dealing with hardware, lowering maintenance burden. I also guess doing so should have a positive impact on security.

And now: let the fun begin.
                    Clever

I'm tempted to try running some desktop environments inside it someday if I can figure out how. Might be an interesting idea to try MATE and Cinnamon.

Comment

This should be useful for Termux to allow running a full desktop environment on android without having to use VNC

Comment

Working...
                      X