Less Than 10% Of Firefox Users On Linux Are Running Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post

I have yet to be in a Businesses where Ubuntu wasn't the default and vast majority of Linux systems. Both server and desktop.
    I work for a big corporation and we used CentOS on the server and there is no Linux desktop permitted for employee workstations. But with the end of regular CentOS, we're moving to Ubuntu on the server.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      So many replies here, "I've been using Wayland for ... and I only have this or that issue".

Guys, are you alright?? Really? Why would anyone replace something working perfectly (X.org) with something which has serious issues (if they weren't serious you wouldn't mention them, right)? Fedora/Arch started offering Wayland six or seven years ago? And we still have showstoppers in DEs, e.g. Gnome, which are meant to work perfectly? That's shameful considering all the uproar that "Wayland is all so cool".
      Wayland was designed and mostly implemented by Xorg core contributors. So Wayland may not be ready to replace Xorg yet, but if the people who make Xorg say that Xorg needs a replacement, it's difficult to argue with them.

Comment

There are still things missing that would hold me back. wacom support is not prepared yet from what i could tell. I tried to switch to wayland, and xwayland was almost so bad that it was not worth teasing me with. I couldn't work out how to make wayland native apps not look too antialiased and then xwayland for a few things and I had to switch back. I'll try again in a year.

Comment

All still a work in progress that's questionably only just at the beta stage so no surprises here, for Nvidia and KDE users they are still at alpha.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            So many replies here, "I've been using Wayland for ... and I only have this or that issue".

Guys, are you alright?? Really? Why would anyone replace something working perfectly (X.org) with something which has serious issues (if they weren't serious you wouldn't mention them, right)? Fedora/Arch started offering Wayland six or seven years ago? And we still have showstoppers in DEs, e.g. Gnome, which are meant to work perfectly? That's shameful considering all the uproar that "Wayland is all so cool".
            I have to use X only for streaming Steam games to my living room. I have more issues with X than Wayland. Getting mixed DPI to work on X is beyond broken.
            Wayland has been the better experience for me for a couple of years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

Wayland was designed and mostly implemented by Xorg core contributors. So Wayland may not be ready to replace Xorg yet, but if the people who make Xorg say that Xorg needs a replacement, it's difficult to argue with them.
              The biggest issue with Wayland and only the first three years of systemd is that when you replace something you need to provide the same level of stability and features as the fucking bare minimum. You don't shove something which is buggy as hell, crashes often and lacks tons of features.

Remember Windows Vista? Microsoft completely rewritten the graphics subsystem, they did something akin to X.org -> Wayland, only everything continued to work including old low-level Windows display utilities and they added a ton of features (WDM) on top of it.

Wayland again:
              • Offers a lot fewer features
              • Is still buggy
              • Does not preserve full compatibility with X11 applications and pretty much all low level X11 utilities (xrandr, wmctl, etc. etc.) do not work under Wayland
              • Makes implementing certain X11 features a hell on Earth, e.g. systray for X11 applications, screen capture, global shortcuts, etc. etc. etc.
              • Has higher hardware requirements
              What a way to shoot yourself in the foot!

This will take at the very least 10 to 20 more years to fully replace X.org.

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post

I have to use X only for streaming Steam games to my living room. I have more issues with X than Wayland. Getting mixed DPI to work on X is beyond broken.
              Wayland has been the better experience for me for a couple of years now.
              99.9% of users out there have a single monitor. I do understand Wayland fans love to cling onto this feature but it's not something people most people can't live without.

Don't try to prove to me Wayland's worth, please. I'm not a fan of X.org, in fact it's dreadful, only Wayland is not inherently better.
              Last edited by birdie; 07 February 2022, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Until Wayland has mate-panel, and desktop icons in the mate desktop, I will stick to X11. I want to move to Wayland, but the desktop/application support just isn't there yet. Screen capture in GIMP doesn't even work. Let alone xrandr/arandr with a GUI etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Are you an Nvidia user?
                  I've been running Wayland for about a year now on Plasma without any deal breaker bugs on an Intel GPU.
                  Firefox on Wayland works too without any problems.
                  I am and I actually thought it may be because of nvidia. But then I tried Plasma on my Intel laptop and it wasn't much better tbh.

It's things like KRunner just disappearing (crashing?) and not working any more, keyboard switching being always global (and not per app as configured) and sometimes it all just completely crashes for no obvious reason.

Comment

I recently tried wayland on ubuntu 20.04 for a week when my x11 for some reasons refused to start.

The killer problem for me was that zoom screen share does not work--I need it almost every day for my work. Besides that, it seems to require quite a lot of tinkering with configuration to switch (from i3 to sway in my case), e.g. xrandr for screen placement should be replaced with something non-obvious, sound configuration was broken (pasystray does not work), not sure how to set dpi, .profile was not executed... I am sure some of it are sway quirks, some are ubuntu 20 issues, but my overall impression was that it requires quite a bit messing with configuration. I'll maybe give it another try when zoom works and I am on a newer system.

Otherwise it looked promising and most of the stuff worked as expected, I did not experience any crashes or such.

Comment

Originally posted by arglebargle View Post
                      There are going to be *so* many cranky people trying to unfuck their VAAPI configs when their systems default to Wayland instead of X.
                      fractions of percent in relative terms

Comment

Working...
                      X