No announcement yet.

Less Than 10% Of Firefox Users On Linux Are Running Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The color choices for that chart are a big middle finger to colorblind people.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
      I'm not colorblind but I was confused as to why each set uses two colors (darker and lighter shade of same color) instead of one?

Comment

For me it's like this, Dell Precision 5550 with Nvidia gfx... World of Warcraft on X: 60+fps, WoW on Wayland: 10fps. I'm sure there is probably a fix of some sort but it's easy to just use X for now.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Guys, are you alright?? Really? Why would anyone replace something working perfectly (X.org) [/COLOR]
          It's about 30(?) years and that thing xorg is far from working perfectly. Not to mention it's an insecure mess. As always you're delusional and ignoring obvious facts: Wayland is not default everywhere, nvidia broken drivers have problems with it, KDE is way behind in support and so on. Btw. 7 Days to Die doesn't even want to start with xorg.
          Last edited by Volta; 07 February 2022, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Well as long as copy page / drag and drop doesn't work between all apps when using Wayland I don't plan to switch to it.

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

It has nothing to do with distro choice.
            Look at the data. There is no way a large userbase average fluctuates like this.
            Because 2-3% of the userbase does not use wayland on weekends? Or something?
            I don't know how to interpret those fluctuations.
            Buness/government systems are probably in the default setting and not active during the weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by arglebargle View Post

You say that but people *love* to hold on to crufty old system software because it's the default they're used to using. There are going to be *so* many cranky people trying to unfuck their VAAPI configs when their systems default to Wayland instead of X.
              I eventually went on to use wayland 6-9 months ago and making hardware acceleration work in Firefox was indeed the most difficult bit when switching. It's a lot of tinkering (with environment variables and the likes) and testing with the command line showing all the VAAPI entries when playing a video, which meant most of the time no entry at all.
              I eventually made it work. But it seems to have been sorted out in the meantime anyway.
              I was quite a vocal critic of wayland for a long time but I always said I would switch some day when I feel like it's ready. And that's what I eventually did.

Still some bothering things:
              - Need to kill wayland (= the session) after 4-5 days running or it starts to lose graphics smoothness (with 40 days uptime it means I restarted my session about 7-8 times, and I don't like that)
              - It lacks the alt + f2 + r in Gnome for a quick refresh (which makes the first point even more bothering)
              - Some apps issues due to wayland such as ctrl + zoom in gthumb not working. It's not the app fault since it's working with X, wayland shouldn't disrupt established behaviors.

But I can live with them.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

Most employees don't work at the weekend, therefore work pc usage and home pc usage will be different. Businesses tend not to use ubuntu for example.
                I have yet to be in a Businesses where Ubuntu wasn't the default and vast majority of Linux systems. Both server and desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
                  You don't need to be colorblind to have your eyes hurt by those old washed out colors not mixing too well together (and especially the blue and purple are hardly identifiable with the green getting you into an optical illusion state.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    So many replies here, "I've been using Wayland for ... and I only have this or that issue".

Guys, are you alright?? Really? Why would anyone replace something working perfectly (X.org) with something which has serious issues (if they weren't serious you wouldn't mention them, right)? Fedora/Arch started offering Wayland six or seven years ago? And we still have showstoppers in DEs, e.g. Gnome, which are meant to work perfectly? That's shameful considering all the uproar that "Wayland is all so cool".
                    It is true and my example above enters into that category. But it kinda sorta makes it worth it by being noticeably smoother (especially on the scrolling side) and snappier. This makes up for the remaining issues and from there it's up to you how far you're irritated by what doesn't work.

Comment

Wasn't wayland support really shitty in firefox anyways?

Honestly i've been a little curious to try wayland since nvidia started supporting GBM, but haven't actually bothered, X is working great, I see no need to swap out a part that isn't broken with a part that's missing major features. If there's anything i've begun to learn after being a linux user on and off for 10 years, it's that wayland's design philosophy is not working out at all.

Wayland was the next big thin in like 2012, maybe 2013, now it's just a project that's being clung to because nobody working on it wants to admit that it's a pathetic failure. We know it's better, if we can get it to work right, but we haven't gotten it to work right in more than 10 years.
                      Last edited by rabcor; 07 February 2022, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X