Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.7 Released With VR Headset DRM Leasing, Renames "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuck you sway for changing that option name, it wasn't just funny but helping and remind people to do a little but if effort and not support shitty lame practices. There's even few gaming laptops with Radeon graphics nowadays...

and fuck you NVIDIA buyers, you are a bunch of weak losers

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
      Not everyone has the money to pay for their principles. I'm still on a GTX750 dating back to the fglrx days and, when I eventually replace it (probably when the hardware fails), I may go nVidia again since I need things to Just Work™ and there have only been two times in over 15 years when I had to update my nVidia driver from the distro-provided default to get the "can leave my desktop session logged in for months" behaviour I expect out of X11, while I still hear about various people talking about AMD drivers doing things that don't live up to that standard. (Once was a hard freeze, one was just a slow memory leak.)

(Also a reason I'm not in any hurry to migrate to Wayland. I'm still waiting for them to implement crash recovery so I have an equivalent to "Oh, KWin/Mutter/Xfwm/Openbox/Fluxbox/etc. crashed/is acting up again. Time for --replace".)

That said, when replacement time comes around, I may buy an AMD card from a local brick-and-mortar so I don't have to pay shipping if I need to return it for an nVidia card if the drivers fail to live up to my expectations.

...oh, and that, of course, assumes that I haven't grown a need for GPU computing in the interim. Currently, I'm considering AMD because I only use my GPU for graphics. If I wanted to do anything compute-related, I'd probably wind up being pushed into growing a dependency on CUDA.
      Last edited by ssokolow; 24 January 2022, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
        (Also a reason I'm not in any hurry to migrate to Wayland. I'm still waiting for them to implement crash recovery so I have an equivalent to "Oh, KWin/Mutter/Xfwm/Openbox/Fluxbox/etc. crashed/is acting up again. Time for --replace".)
        you can already launch suspicious programs in cage (which is wlroots-based as well) so they will crash it instead of main sway instance

Comment

Already updated to 1.7, the Gentoo package was updated this morning! I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

OpenSource, Yes. At the moment there's no GPU acceleration and I don't think apple is likely to let that happen.
            According to Asahi Linux website Apple isn't blocking running unsigned kernels on Apple Silicon Macs. In macOS 12.1 update they also added support for booting raw images so alternative loaders don't need to use Mach-O.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
              Ok, let's insult thousand of users that are buying hardware measuring price/performance, just because the don't pay attention if nvidia is developing drivers "the right way",

And just a note, for many years nvidia was the only way to get decent 3d in Linux, meanwhile ATI was deprecating drivers for cards that were still being sold in stores.

Comment

I am liking Sway, though some things for me are a work in progress. I was playing with Arch or a while, so have gotten used to the idea of a minimal installation. This is what I want, a solid yet minimal base/core to build up from. I love running "pstree" from a terminal and admiring all its minimal goodness

At work, for Linux, it is very RHEL based, so figured good to be in the ecosystem a little more. I have been doing minimal Fedora installations (with the netinstall image.) I need to start taking notes, building up scripts, etc. For me, Sway is a great option here. But by default, launching things like Firefox, Chromium, VSCodium (Electron, so Chromium based) start with XWayland (aka Xwayland and xwayland), yet they are all capable of running native in Wayland these days. I have yet to figure out the best way to make this work as intended.

Anyway, things are evolving in a good direction I think. At some point I will get my minimal, efficient, workspace going. For now just dialing stuff in and learning. On a side note, Fedora now has the Hikari window manger (also a wlroots-based Wayland compositor) in their repos, so installed that for fun. I get a kick out of launching this from within Sway, so running Hikari inside a Sway window!

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                  (Once was a hard freeze, one was just a slow memory leak.)
                  That sounds almost exactly like my experience with nVidia's binary drivers (as shipped with Ubuntu)...

To be fair, I've also had a similar issue with AMD's open source drivers once in the last 5 years - when Debian Stable managed to ship exactly the one minor revision of mesa where a bug with video decode acceleration slipped through, causing Firefox to randomly freeze the whole desktop when watching streaming videos....

Still, given how excellent AMD open source drivers have been working for me in the last few years, I'm having a very hard time recommending nVidia. The AMD open source drivers just work out of the box and offer perfect integration with desktop environments. No nasty nVida control panel that messes up Xorg.conf if you look at it wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post

That sounds almost exactly like my experience with nVidia's binary drivers (as shipped with Ubuntu)...

To be fair, I've also had a similar issue with AMD's open source drivers once in the last 5 years - when Debian Stable managed to ship exactly the one minor revision of mesa where a bug with video decode acceleration slipped through, causing Firefox to randomly freeze the whole desktop when watching streaming videos....

Still, given how excellent AMD open source drivers have been working for me in the last few years, I'm having a very hard time recommending nVidia. The AMD open source drivers just work out of the box and offer perfect integration with desktop environments. No nasty nVida control panel that messes up Xorg.conf if you look at it wrong...
                    Bear in mind, that was two driver versions that happened to win the freeze window lottery over more than 15 years of using nVidia binary drivers, and both cases were the matter of a few minutes to fix with a PPA... and, in this case, it's sort of a pro that they're out-of-tree drivers because it meant I didn't need futz around with completely new kernels like I would if I run into one of those "regressed after getting upstreamed" bugs I've seen occasionally mentioned with certain AMD cards in here.

Comment

Originally posted by jarekZ View Post
                      you can already launch suspicious programs in cage (which is wlroots-based as well) so they will crash it instead of main sway instance
                      No, I mean that I've never found a window manager than will run more than about two to four weeks without either crashing or starting to glitch out.

I doubt cage would solve the "or glitch out" part and, even if it does, I'd rather not find a way to run literally every application on my desktop under it (or for that matter, an Xpra equivalent). I'm the "Forget Firejail. A Flatpak release exists" type.

I left behind obsessively fine-tuning everything to exactly what I want and taking on the responsibility for maintaining it all when I decided Gentoo was no longer viable for my daily driver. (But I'm still a KDE user for the "fine-tune it and an update won't break the tunings", which should say a lot about me.)

Comment

Working...
                      X