Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.7 Released With VR Headset DRM Leasing, Renames "--my-next-gpu-wont-be-nvidia"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by leech View Post
    So many distributions are trying to push it along to their users, to get the adoption rate up... but it isn't like we haven't seen such things happen before to terrible results (remember all the 'Oh my god, Pulse Audio sucks!' articles? Or Systemd, or... so many other things...)
    Distros' reactions to the KDE crew saying that KDE 4.0 was a preview release (A.K.A. ignore that and ship it anyway) drove me from KDE 3.5 to LXDE until whatever version of KDE shipped with Ubuntu 14.04... and the main reason I wound up migrating back was that KDE got its foot in the door because I'd gotten a third monitor, it would take a month or two for an inexpensive VESA mount to arrive from China, and LXPanel didn't deal with non-rectangular desktops well.

Leave a comment:

• leech
    replied
    Originally posted by neuralgya View Post

Ok, let's insult thousand of users that are buying hardware measuring price/performance, just because the don't pay attention if nvidia is developing drivers "the right way",

And just a note, for many years nvidia was the only way to get decent 3d in Linux, meanwhile ATI was deprecating drivers for cards that were still being sold in stores.
    Yup, I still won't buy AMD because their drivers are a mess, and the fact that unless I buy an older AMD card, for full support of it I will be expected to be running the latest kernel and mesa libraries. Whereas with nvidia, all I need to do is either have current nvidia drivers in the repo and update to them (even Debian keeps these fairly up to date for stable with the backports, and RHEL now full on supports nvidia drivers). What Debian does not do, is have special repositories for the ever updating Mesa libraries. While you can grab some repositories that package the latest kernels, even if the backports are a few versions behind, I have yet to find some for AMD GPU drivers. Sure, I could run Arch... which I do, but that's on my main machine, which has a 3080 in it.

Nvidia drivers for the most part just work. Would I like they to be open sourced? Yes. But am I going to jump around and tell them to fuck off? No. The fact they even have had great Linux drivers for so long goes to show that they support us. They may be slow to adopt and add in new features, but for Wayland? I mean it's only recently gotten enough features to daily drive it. So many distributions are trying to push it along to their users, to get the adoption rate up... but it isn't like we haven't seen such things happen before to terrible results (remember all the 'Oh my god, Pulse Audio sucks!' articles? Or Systemd, or... so many other things...)

Makes the most sense to keep things stable as new things try to come about. Nvidia adding DLSS and Raytracing, etc to the Linux drivers a little bit later than Windows makes a whole lot of sense!

I don't know... sometimes the 'holier than thou' open source community does rub people the wrong way 'Open source, or gtfo!' doesn't work in all cases...

Leave a comment:

• soulsource
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Bear in mind, that was two driver versions that happened to win the freeze window lottery over more than 15 years of using nVidia binary drivers, and both cases were the matter of a few minutes to fix with a PPA... and, in this case, it's sort of a pro that they're out-of-tree drivers because it meant I didn't need futz around with completely new kernels like I would if I run into one of those "regressed after getting upstreamed" bugs I've seen occasionally mentioned with certain AMD cards in here.
    I've never seen the out-of-tree part as an advantage, but thinking about it that makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by jarekZ View Post
    you can already launch suspicious programs in cage (which is wlroots-based as well) so they will crash it instead of main sway instance
    No, I mean that I've never found a window manager than will run more than about two to four weeks without either crashing or starting to glitch out.

I doubt cage would solve the "or glitch out" part and, even if it does, I'd rather not find a way to run literally every application on my desktop under it (or for that matter, an Xpra equivalent). I'm the "Forget Firejail. A Flatpak release exists" type.

I left behind obsessively fine-tuning everything to exactly what I want and taking on the responsibility for maintaining it all when I decided Gentoo was no longer viable for my daily driver. (But I'm still a KDE user for the "fine-tune it and an update won't break the tunings", which should say a lot about me.)

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by soulsource View Post

That sounds almost exactly like my experience with nVidia's binary drivers (as shipped with Ubuntu)...

To be fair, I've also had a similar issue with AMD's open source drivers once in the last 5 years - when Debian Stable managed to ship exactly the one minor revision of mesa where a bug with video decode acceleration slipped through, causing Firefox to randomly freeze the whole desktop when watching streaming videos....

Still, given how excellent AMD open source drivers have been working for me in the last few years, I'm having a very hard time recommending nVidia. The AMD open source drivers just work out of the box and offer perfect integration with desktop environments. No nasty nVida control panel that messes up Xorg.conf if you look at it wrong...
    Bear in mind, that was two driver versions that happened to win the freeze window lottery over more than 15 years of using nVidia binary drivers, and both cases were the matter of a few minutes to fix with a PPA... and, in this case, it's sort of a pro that they're out-of-tree drivers because it meant I didn't need futz around with completely new kernels like I would if I run into one of those "regressed after getting upstreamed" bugs I've seen occasionally mentioned with certain AMD cards in here.

Leave a comment:

• soulsource
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    (Once was a hard freeze, one was just a slow memory leak.)
    That sounds almost exactly like my experience with nVidia's binary drivers (as shipped with Ubuntu)...

To be fair, I've also had a similar issue with AMD's open source drivers once in the last 5 years - when Debian Stable managed to ship exactly the one minor revision of mesa where a bug with video decode acceleration slipped through, causing Firefox to randomly freeze the whole desktop when watching streaming videos....

Still, given how excellent AMD open source drivers have been working for me in the last few years, I'm having a very hard time recommending nVidia. The AMD open source drivers just work out of the box and offer perfect integration with desktop environments. No nasty nVida control panel that messes up Xorg.conf if you look at it wrong...

Leave a comment:

• ehansin
    replied
    I am liking Sway, though some things for me are a work in progress. I was playing with Arch or a while, so have gotten used to the idea of a minimal installation. This is what I want, a solid yet minimal base/core to build up from. I love running "pstree" from a terminal and admiring all its minimal goodness

At work, for Linux, it is very RHEL based, so figured good to be in the ecosystem a little more. I have been doing minimal Fedora installations (with the netinstall image.) I need to start taking notes, building up scripts, etc. For me, Sway is a great option here. But by default, launching things like Firefox, Chromium, VSCodium (Electron, so Chromium based) start with XWayland (aka Xwayland and xwayland), yet they are all capable of running native in Wayland these days. I have yet to figure out the best way to make this work as intended.

Anyway, things are evolving in a good direction I think. At some point I will get my minimal, efficient, workspace going. For now just dialing stuff in and learning. On a side note, Fedora now has the Hikari window manger (also a wlroots-based Wayland compositor) in their repos, so installed that for fun. I get a kick out of launching this from within Sway, so running Hikari inside a Sway window!

Leave a comment:

• neuralgya
    replied
    Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
    and fuck you NVIDIA buyers, you are a bunch of weak losers
    Ok, let's insult thousand of users that are buying hardware measuring price/performance, just because the don't pay attention if nvidia is developing drivers "the right way",

And just a note, for many years nvidia was the only way to get decent 3d in Linux, meanwhile ATI was deprecating drivers for cards that were still being sold in stores.

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied
    Originally posted by SilverFox

OpenSource, Yes. At the moment there's no GPU acceleration and I don't think apple is likely to let that happen.
    According to Asahi Linux website Apple isn't blocking running unsigned kernels on Apple Silicon Macs. In macOS 12.1 update they also added support for booting raw images so alternative loaders don't need to use Mach-O.

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    Already updated to 1.7, the Gentoo package was updated this morning! I love it!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X