Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XWayland 21.1 Standalone Released To Offer Better X11 Client On Wayland Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland 21.1 Standalone Released To Offer Better X11 Client On Wayland Experience

Phoronix: XWayland 21.1 Standalone Released To Offer Better X11 Client On Wayland Experience

With no one willing to step up and manage the X.Org Server 1.21 release and see it through for maintenance, Red Hat engineers who often managed those xorg-server releases are now moving ahead with standalone XWayland releases with that code pulled out of doing a full X.Org Server release and instead isolated to the XWayland bits for handling of X11 clients under Wayland. Today marks the inaugural release with XWayland 21.1.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With no one willing to step up and manage the X.Org Server 1.21 release and see it through for maintenance
    birdie, what are you waiting for? I even have a code name for you: X.Org broke winblows 10 edition 3.11 ME.

Btw. this is a historic moment for Wayland users.

Comment

That's indeed a needed release, congrats to everyone involved!
      Also, it appears that the branch will support NVidia acceleration too as it's not too invasive!
      These two patches are intended to accompany upcoming support in the proprietary NVIDIA driver for hardware accelerated GL and Vulkan rendering with Xwayland. They shouldn't interfere with the...

(yeah, unfortunately some ppl have to deal with NVidia on their laptops/dekstops).

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

birdie, what are you waiting for? I even have a code name for you: X.Org broke winblows 10 edition 3.11 ME.

Btw. this is a historic moment for Wayland users.
        While I have no idea where birdie is, I think that calls to the death of xorg may be overblown. BSD's are slowly making noise in the desktop arena (yes its a circa linux 1990s on the desktop) but they are focused on xorg. Wayland is discussed in FreeBSD but the focus is still on xorg. Maybe a BSD will pick up xorg, or at least keep it hobling until Wayland gets a bit more mature.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

While I have no idea where birdie is, I think that calls to the death of xorg may be overblown. BSD's are slowly making noise in the desktop arena (yes its a circa linux 1990s on the desktop) but they are focused on xorg. Wayland is discussed in FreeBSD but the focus is still on xorg. Maybe a BSD will pick up xorg, or at least keep it hobling until Wayland gets a bit more mature.
          There will be Xorg users for a long time, that's for sure. However, Wayland users can finally free from it and use standalone, loaded on demand XWayland. That was my point.

Comment

Can I play my games now using xwayland without stutter as hell and vsync?

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

There will be Xorg users for a long time, that's for sure. However, Wayland users can finally free from it and use standalone, loaded on demand XWayland. That was my point.
              Yup, there I am sure there are still DOS/Windows 95 users somewhere too

Good news for Wayland users though agreed. Now if Nvidia makes things workable for their hardware so much the better! I see they have been making some positive announcements in that direction.

Comment

So Xorg has been renamed Xwayland. Which it already was for a while. Or am I missing something?

Comment

Now let nvidia drop their eglstreams magic on top of it before the release.. so I can play my proton games when running gnome in wayland.

Or... Proton should apply the wine wayland patches by collabora.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                    Maybe a BSD will pick up xorg, or at least keep it hobling until Wayland gets a bit more mature.
                    The BSD's have had the option to pick up maintenance and release manager responsibilities and have not chosen to do so (likely because they understand it is a huge effort, and prefer to focus their limited resources elsewhere), and are likely to continue to do what others have done, which is cherry pick specific fixes that matter to them and can be properly tested in their environments.

Comment

Working...
                    X