The Work Ahead For Ubuntu 21.04 To Switch To Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Make that 13-14 years, because the initial release was in September 2008 and I don't know when it was started.
    X isn't ready yet and never will, so jokes aside.

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
      It was started in 2008 as a hoby project, got commitment in 2010 and its first release was in autumn 2012. Before then nobody except the protocol Devs worked on Wayland so its not at all as bad as you want us to believe
      That's like saying that Linux is 26 years old because Red Hat was released in 1995
      Last edited by JackLilhammers; 09 February 2021, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

I love your optimism. AMD maybe getting very competitive in the gaming arena, but they have shortages of hardware availability, and they are not yet as competitive in compute (i.e. ROCm or some open source method - CUDA is still better - or that what it seems like to me). If those two issues are fixed, maybe your optimism will come true. I would like to hope so.

It would also help if Intel got competitive in both those areas (gaming and compute) - that would be good for everyone no matter what team (blue, green, and/or red) that you are on. Competition is the best way for us as consumers to win.
        Once the new console rush dies down, I expect more availability.

And compute is not that big of an advantage of desktop workloads. For dev work, there are tools that let you compile Cuda to ROCm.

And yes competition is nice, and i wouldn't count team shiney/rainbow (apple) from trying thier hand at a more compute/graphics oriented SoC.

Comment

Nvidia: bringing you year 2000 graphics… faster.

If you need to buy a brand new graphic card today, the only reason to buy an nvidia one is is if you are forced to use their proprietary CUDA solution. Being forced to use proprietary software is worst than not using any software, it's a kind or racket (a service that is fraudulently offered to solve a problem).

Comment

Watch out for the worst company <<nvidia>> cheating:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wat...aptops.368724/

When comes to 'best drivers':

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3583...ock-speed.html

Since birdie's trolling disappeared I edited this comment.
            Last edited by Volta; 10 February 2021, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StanZen
              I seriously hope you're not getting paid to promote this company...

Comment

AMD maybe getting very competitive in the gaming arena, but they have shortages of hardware availability
                everyone has shortages of hardware availability
                , and they are not yet as competitive in compute
                competitive enough to be selected for supercomputer which "Is expected to be more powerful than today’s 200 fastest supercomputers combined"

Comment

Working...
                X