Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 2020 State Of Wayland Support For Chrome/Chromium - Aiming For H2'2021 Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would imagine that if Google can hold to this H2 2021 timeframe then ChromeOS will be Wayland ready by the 3rd quarter/late 2021. Probably see Ubuntu 22.04 LTS reintroduce Wayland option to start a session if not default to Wayland. If Red Hat and Google default to Wayland then that's it for X. Ubuntu should follow suit.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
      It seems that is feasible on Chrome for Android.
      I do really dislike the disparity between platforms though (no extension on Android for instance).
      Well, on Android, you don't see any tabs. You can see an open pages overview by specifically requesting it.
      I'm not sure it's really relevant there given the size of the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        maybe Microsoft contributes some Wayland-related code.
        They're writing a Wayland compositor but I don't think they'll contribute Wayland code to Chromium.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          Strange opinions always have to exist somewhere it seems.
          At least on Windows it's totally true, though. There is higher resolution Netflix streaming, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            They're writing a Wayland compositor but I don't think they'll contribute Wayland code to Chromium.
            They might, because since they're writing a Wayland compositor they do have an interest in Wayland, and they also have an interest in Edge, so they might want to get Edge running on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007
              Where can I read "They hope that in the second half of 2021 that Ozone will be the default on Linux and the legacy X11 code will be removed."? Or is this sentence a lie?
              The linked slides.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
                I might have the version number wrong, but I think electron version 11 is supposed to be targeted to have ozone support with wayland
                Electron 12, but even then it's perhaps too soon to see adopted mainstream for Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  I would imagine that if Google can hold to this H2 2021 timeframe then ChromeOS will be Wayland ready by the 3rd quarter/late 2021. Probably see Ubuntu 22.04 LTS reintroduce Wayland option to start a session if not default to Wayland. If Red Hat and Google default to Wayland then that's it for X. Ubuntu should follow suit.
                  ChromeOS got rid of X11 years before Linux. They didn't wait for Wayland to get finished.

Comment

> Also Android doesn't use Xorg, but smartphones and tablets are not PCs.

Really? Windows tablets are real PCs and you can connect desktop monitor, keyboard and mouse to an Android phone and even run Linux layer inside Android (e.g. Termux). Not talking about phones with real Linux (in progress). My brother's Huawei has as fast CPU as my 9 years old desktop with Intel Xeon.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007

Just read it. They are going to implement an unique interface (maybe this word could be incorrect) to be used for different platform, X11, Wayland, etc. (p. 10 and 13).
                      Hello. I’m Maksim, who presented that talk.

Maybe, you haven’t listened to the presentation, the talk must be presented later, but slide 10 describes what Ozone is and slide 13 describes how Ozone integrates with Aura.

All this code already in place. The problem is legacy X11 that requires a lot of refactorings and that holds us from shipping Wayland now. We have to complete migration of X11 to Ozone, made a finch trial, fix all the regressions bugs and then make it default. That’s a lot of work, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                      X