Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 2020 State Of Wayland Support For Chrome/Chromium - Aiming For H2'2021 Default

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The 2020 State Of Wayland Support For Chrome/Chromium - Aiming For H2'2021 Default

    Phoronix: The 2020 State Of Wayland Support For Chrome/Chromium - Aiming For H2'2021 Default

    At this week's virtual Embedded Linux Conference was a talk on Monday by Igalia engineer Maksim Sisov as to the state of native Wayland support for the open-source Chromium web browser and in turn Google Chrome...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Chromium-2020

  • #2
    GNOME's Epiphany (Web) is built on WebKit2 (but not Blink or Chromium) and it supports Wayland.
    Firefox has decent Wayland support too, but it has some open issues on Bugzilla.

    Hopefully Microsoft Edge for Linux comes with Wayland support, it is based on Chromium, so maybe Microsoft contributes some Wayland-related code.

    Comment


    • #3
      The days of X11 seem numbered then? Not only is it unmaintained but Chromium losing its X11 backend is the last nail in the coffin. I hope all the nasty bugs still left with Wayland will be fixed up until then or we will see a regression in overall desktop usability and stability for the next few years.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        GNOME's Epiphany (Web) is built on WebKit2 (but not Blink or Chromium) and it supports Wayland.
        Firefox has decent Wayland support too, but it has some open issues on Bugzilla.

        Hopefully Microsoft Edge for Linux comes with Wayland support, it is based on Chromium, so maybe Microsoft contributes some Wayland-related code.
        Yeah, I'm dying to use M$ shit on Linux.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Volta View Post

          Yeah, I'm dying to use M$ shit on Linux.
          Microsoft Edge is not shit, it is actually a very good web browser. It is built on Chromium and its technology such as Blink, so it has all the features and performance of Chrome. Microsoft improved upon Chromium so things are easier organized in the menus and it has some nice improvements. While I personally prefer Firefox, I do think of Microsoft Edge as a better version of Chrome.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I do think of Microsoft Edge as a better version of Chrome.
            Strange opinions always have to exist somewhere it seems.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Hopefully Microsoft Edge for Linux comes with Wayland support, it is based on Chromium
              The current dev channel version of Edge still uses X (which is to be expected), but, as you say, since it is based on Chromium, it should eventually make it to Wayland for those that choose Edge as their browser.

              While the progress has been slower than one would have wished for, the ozone capabilities (which will enable wayland for chromium and the related electron based apps) will be another step along the path of eliminating the need for at least some to have to run an xserver at all.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Volta View Post

                Yeah, I'm dying to use M$ shit on Linux.
                you made my day mate

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                  The days of X11 seem numbered then? Not only is it unmaintained but Chromium losing its X11 backend is the last nail in the coffin.
                  As I understand the current plans, chromium will still support x11 via ozone (which will eventually prefer wayland if available, but will still support x11). It is just the native (legacy) x11 support in chromium that is planned to be removed, allowing chromium to use one rendering path (ozone) and simplifying the code base (and likely the entire QA process).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

                    Microsoft Edge is not shit, it is actually a very good web browser. It is built on Chromium and its technology such as Blink, so it has all the features and performance of Chrome. Microsoft improved upon Chromium so things are easier organized in the menus and it has some nice improvements. While I personally prefer Firefox, I do think of Microsoft Edge as a better version of Chrome.
                    It's shit, because it's from Microsoft. Don't you remember the times when we all had to struggle with M$ Internet Explorer web 'standards'? I see no single reason to support them now.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X