Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SWVKC Is A Vulkan-Powered Wayland Compositor Focused On Performance + Correctness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I bet they're not

Just imagine all the fun they'll have when we're submitting KWin bugs
    There are a ton more bugs with OpenGL in general. The driver "surface" is way bigger. Everyone should switch to Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

It still uses GBM..
      How?! I thought Vulkan provided a memory allocation scheme...

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        There are a ton more bugs with OpenGL in general. The driver "surface" is way bigger. Everyone should switch to Vulkan.
        That's a common misconception.
        That bigger OpenGL surface is still there, only it moves to apps with Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That's a common misconception.
          Tell it to those who get GPU hangs due to buggy OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by gnulinux82
            From the README:

So the authors tries to distinguish the project with a focus on "correctness"... by "not caring too much for correctness". OK. Sounds like a really interesting project.

IOW: "here's some marketing bluster. btw all that stuff I just said is bullshit".
            "I built a prototype" doesn't mean they won't care about correctness long-term.

Comment

Tell it to those who get GPU hangs due to buggy OpenGL.
              If your OpenGL driver is buggy then your Vulkan driver is probably buggy too. That's likely to be some problem with the hardware layer, especially if the entire GPU hangs. And as far as I know, OpenGL and Vulkan share most of the hardware layer code no matter whose driver you're using.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

If your OpenGL driver is buggy then your Vulkan driver is probably buggy too.
                Not really, especially if bugs (or workarounds for hardware "hazards") come from the shader compiler. Radeonsi is still using llvm, radv is using aco now. And bugs in aco are fixed much faster. So I'd take anything that's using radv over radeonsi any time. Or basically, more Vulkan, less OpenGL please. Once radeonsi will also be able to use aco, it will be much less of a problem.
                Last edited by shmerl; 26 July 2020, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Not really, especially if bugs (or workarounds for hardware "hazards") come from the shader compiler. Radeonsi is still using llvm, radv is using aco now. And bugs in aco are fixed much faster. So I'd take anything that's using radv over radeonsi any time. Or basically, more Vulkan, less OpenGL please. Once radeonsi will also be able to use aco, it will be much less of a problem.
                  For some reason, you seem fixated on drivers. If that is the case, then yes, the Vulkan driver is easier/less buggy.
                  However, to achieve the same functionality, the Vulkan application needs to do more work. So there's less potential for bugs in the driver, but more potential for bugs in the apps.

Edit: Idk if this was was your angle, but I'll give you this: if it will lock up, it's better to lock up the app rather than the driver.
                  Last edited by bug77; 27 July 2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Cool handwaving bro. I bet you've never written a single line of graphics code.
                    Drawing a line on the screen was probably the first thing I did with a computer (it was easier to do with a Z80), so joke's on you
                    Got as far as drawing some simple OpenGL scenes, but that was in college, almost 20 years ago and I drifted from graphics since. I'm not going to pretend things haven't changed since.

Comment

So basically, "I did some super basic graphics programming 20 years ago, listen to me pontificate about production grade drivers and compositors I've never worked on".
                      That's not what I said, but if that's your takeaway, I'm fine with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X