Sway 1.5 Wayland Compositor Released With Adaptive-Sync/VRR, New Protocols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.5 Wayland Compositor Released With Adaptive-Sync/VRR, New Protocols

Phoronix: Sway 1.5 Wayland Compositor Released With Adaptive-Sync/VRR, New Protocols

Sway 1.5 is out as a big feature update to this Wayland compositor inspired by the i3 window manager. A big user-facing feature with Sway 1.5 is support for Adaptive Synchronization / Variable Refresh Rate, such as AMD FreeSync...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm really excited about this release, namely the headless output creation. I'm hoping it will allow me to use my phone/tablet as extra screens.

Comment

The viewport extension will be useful for proper Wayland compositor integration for e.g. Firefox (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1617498)

Comment

How advanced is Sway when compared to the wayland compositors of Gnome & KDE? It seems like it's so easy to manipulate. Whenever I lookup something wayland-related, I'll find some kind of explanation on how to do it in Sway with just a few intuitive terminal commands, and as a Gnome user that makes me jealous.

Unfortunately I can't get used to tiling window managers, otherwise I'd make the switch.

Comment

Sadly, i can't use it since no Freesync-over-hdmi yet.

Comment

Originally posted by skerit View Post
            How advanced is Sway when compared to the wayland compositors of Gnome & KDE?
            Usually all the things that don't work, are bugged or slow with other compositors just work on Sway.

Comment

It's amazing that a hobby project by some guy in his basement produces better results and more featureful, higher quality software than the gnome team

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
                It's amazing that a hobby project by some guy in his basement produces better results and more featureful, higher quality software than the gnome team
                99/100, some guy in a basement has more passion than some guy paid by Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by skerit View Post
                  How advanced is Sway when compared to the wayland compositors of Gnome & KDE? It seems like it's so easy to manipulate. Whenever I lookup something wayland-related, I'll find some kind of explanation on how to do it in Sway with just a few intuitive terminal commands, and as a Gnome user that makes me jealous.

Unfortunately I can't get used to tiling window managers, otherwise I'd make the switch.
                  Sway is great. I used Fluxbox and GNOME for fifteen years or so and was happy enough, but I switched to Sway in early 2020 after being frustrated with GNOME Wayland issues on HiDPI. I don't use any of Sway's tiling features. I use tabbed window mode and all windows are full screen. I put web and music on the first screen, terminals and editors on the second, email on the third. It's minimal and fast! Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
                    he isn't wasting his time with CoC and renaming stuff with more inclusive names

Comment

Working...
                    X