X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
    replied
    Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

It was released less than 24 hours ago, but I imagine it will land in updates soon. For the folks who are okay with 1.4 until the update...

Code:
    sudo dnf install sway
    It looks like waybar, swaybg, swayidle, and swaylock are also in the default repos.

Code:
    $ sudo dnf install sway
    Last metadata expiration check: 2:53:46 ago on Thu Jul 16 14:33:40 2020.
    Dependencies resolved.
    ================================================== ================================================== ====================
    Package Architecture Version Repository Size
    ================================================== ================================================== ====================
    Installing:
    sway x86_64 1.4-6.fc32 updates 5.1 M
    Installing dependencies:
    grim x86_64 1.3.0-3.fc32 fedora 23 k
    swaybg x86_64 1.0-3.fc32 fedora 24 k
    wlroots x86_64 0.10.1-2.fc32 updates 265 k
    Installing weak dependencies:
    desktop-backgrounds-compat noarch 32.0.0-3.fc32 fedora 8.5 k
    dmenu x86_64 4.9-4.fc32 fedora 32 k
    xdg-desktop-portal-wlr x86_64 0.1.0-1.fc32 updates 35 k

Transaction Summary
    Install 7 Packages

Total download size: 5.4 M
    Installed size: 6.5 M
    An update in case anyone comes across this article in the future and wonders about Fedora and newer versions of Sway. I didn't notice this originally, but there is a rolling module for Sway.

Code:
    sudo dnf module enable sway:rolling
    sudo dnf install sway
    Don't get your hopes up that this will be Tumbleweed or Arch levels of rolling, but 1.5 did land in the rolling module a few weeks after it was released. Currently the regular Fedora repos still have 1.4.6. The rolling module has been on 1.5 for a while now.

If you want to disable it again for some reason...

Code:
    sudo dnf module disable sway

Leave a comment:

• ehansin
    replied
    pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx Thanks for responding. My concern (not that it is a big issue), is that Fedora 32 will stay on Sway 1.4, but I do not know what their policies are in regards to jumping to a new "major" release in any given Fedora release (I suppose it depends on the application.) I did my homework, and did find these if I want to give them a try:

I have used COPR very little, but this is a chance to play with it more. This Fedora 32 install is just kind of a playground anyway, I plan on installing Fedora 33 clean when release, so I can mess with Btrfs a bit.

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
    replied
    Originally posted by ehansin View Post
    Can someone give me any pointers to get installed on Fedora 32, at least the most "official" way? I think their may be a Sway COPR or something, but I am kind of knew to all of these Fedora-isms. Learning, but still relatively new. Thanks.
    It was released less than 24 hours ago, but I imagine it will land in updates soon. For the folks who are okay with 1.4 until the update...

Code:
    sudo dnf install sway
    It looks like waybar, swaybg, swayidle, and swaylock are also in the default repos.

Code:
    $ sudo dnf install sway
    Last metadata expiration check: 2:53:46 ago on Thu Jul 16 14:33:40 2020.
    Dependencies resolved.
    Package Architecture Version Repository Size
    Installing:
    sway x86_64 1.4-6.fc32 updates 5.1 M
    Installing dependencies:
    grim x86_64 1.3.0-3.fc32 fedora 23 k
    swaybg x86_64 1.0-3.fc32 fedora 24 k
    wlroots x86_64 0.10.1-2.fc32 updates 265 k
    Installing weak dependencies:
    desktop-backgrounds-compat noarch 32.0.0-3.fc32 fedora 8.5 k
    dmenu x86_64 4.9-4.fc32 fedora 32 k
    xdg-desktop-portal-wlr x86_64 0.1.0-1.fc32 updates 35 k

Transaction Summary
    Install 7 Packages

Total download size: 5.4 M
    Installed size: 6.5 M

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    - Broken by default. Extensions mandatory for any real use.
    Example: no systray functionality, must install extension that enables it using KDE's wayland systray API (so it's not like hard to make, just a political decision)

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

That is why it is dangerous for things like Gnome to "lead the way" in Linux. People thinking it is "THE" standard desktop does the entire community a disservice.

It is an out-of-date tablet-like interface. Nothing more.
    I completely agree. I don't understand why do a lot of people fall for the leader's tricks.

Like what's this?!:
    - "Firefox is ready"
    - No minimize button
    - No theming or even changing the font (without Tweaks)
    - Keyboard repeat rate in the Universal Access section (rather than the Keyboard section)
    - Too much air in header bars of non-CSD apps
    - Buttons all over the place, as if one were to read from bottom to top
    - Notification area has 01-09 in the calendar (rather than 1-9 which everyone uses)
    - Icons that make no sense, like the tombstone
    - Broken by default. Extensions mandatory for any real use.

Leave a comment:

• ehansin
    replied
    Can someone give me any pointers to get installed on Fedora 32, at least the most "official" way? I think their may be a Sway COPR or something, but I am kind of knew to all of these Fedora-isms. Learning, but still relatively new. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• royce
    replied
    Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
    It's amazing that a hobby project by some guy in his basement produces better results and more featureful, higher quality software than the gnome team
    Sway had the chance to start from scratch with wlroots relatively recently, so there's no baggage to carry or features to maintain. It's been designed for wayland from the ground up, so it's no surprise it's absolutely spot on.

Leave a comment:

• miabrahams
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

99/100, some guy in a basement has more passion than some guy paid by Red Hat.
    Drew DeVault is a marvel but in recent years the project has morphed into a community-driven one. Look at the past month of commits and you'll see at least a dozen people and ddevault doing more work as maintainer than developer.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    But someone who does have the skills, passion, and time can create a wonderful project.
    someone who does have the skills and time can create a wonderful project too

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I have a lot of passion too but I still suck at coding, what gives?

Life isn't a Disney movie, even "if your heart is in the right place" you still need time and skills to accomplish anything
    But someone who does have the skills, passion, and time can create a wonderful project.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X