X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

Quit exaggerating to the point of ridicule. Nvidia doesn't ignore Linux. They don't do things the way you want, but that's not equivalent to ignoring. Oh, and Nvidia is not alone in creating the whole GBM mess, and they at least contribute to one major compositor: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...rged-KWin-5.16

You may hate Nvidia (and there are some valid reasons to do so), but don't make BS claims about them.
    Not upstreaming their driver means they are ignoring Linux development methodology, and it's causing all the mess in result. And seriously, no one should be cleaning up this mess for them. Until they upstream it, they should be reminded what Linus told them. Sway and Kwin developers have this position and I fully support it.

If Nvidia really so want it, let them contribute code that deals with their mess.
    Last edited by shmerl; 15 May 2019, 01:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Actually no, you won't. Wayland has some craptastic design decisions that will never go away because they are part of the design, so it's a hopeless protocol. Like, you know, querying absolute window positions, or integrating with another app's visuals and position. Because of monkeys who value pseudo-security and "privacy", you can't do this on Wayland. It's a lost cause.

I mean... I understand limiting ability to view windows from processes running as other users, that's fine and X fails big time here. But Crapland has this pseudo-security bullshit mentality that you can't trust your own user's processes, which is pathetic and it will forever suck because of it.
    Wait, did you just criticize X for the first time? I thought you always thought there was nothing wrong with it?

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    If you started removing everything from X that's broken you'd end up with Wayland.
    Actually no, you won't. Wayland has some craptastic design decisions that will never go away because they are part of the design, so it's a hopeless protocol. Like, you know, querying absolute window positions, or integrating with another app's visuals and position. Because of monkeys who value pseudo-security and "privacy", you can't do this on Wayland. It's a lost cause.

I mean... I understand limiting ability to view windows from processes running as other users, that's fine and X fails big time here. But Crapland has this pseudo-security bullshit mentality that you can't trust your own user's processes, which is pathetic and it will forever suck because of it.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Itches:

1. Wayland is not limited to Gnome. There should be more coordinated cooperation between compositor developers (kwin, wlroots, mutter etc.).
    2. Freesync support.
    3. First class Vulkan/WSI support instead of usage of EGL and Co.
    4. No Wine support except through XWayland.
    5. Wayland should be replaced by Arcan.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by SupposedlyFunny View Post

I haven't followed the development, but did something improved from Torvalds' public "fuckyou Nvidia"?
    Their driver is no longer terrible?

Leave a comment:

• SupposedlyFunny
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Quit exaggerating to the point of ridicule. Nvidia doesn't ignore Linux. They don't do things the way you want, but that's not equivalent to ignoring.
    I haven't followed the development, but did something improved from Torvalds' public "fuckyou Nvidia"?

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    You can, because Nvidia ignores Linux. It's not the job of compositor developers to clean up the mess that Nvidia created.
    Quit exaggerating to the point of ridicule. Nvidia doesn't ignore Linux. They don't do things the way you want, but that's not equivalent to ignoring. Oh, and Nvidia is not alone in creating the whole GBM mess, and they at least contribute to one major compositor: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...rged-KWin-5.16

You may hate Nvidia (and there are some valid reasons to do so), but don't make BS claims about them.

Leave a comment:

• MrCooper
    replied
    1. Wayland is not limited to Gnome. There should be more coordinated cooperation between compositor developers (kwin, wlroots, mutter etc.).
    My impression is that there's quite a lot of this already on GitLab / mailing lists / IRC. More is probably always possible, but it doesn't seem like a big issue.

3. First class Vulkan/WSI support instead of usage of EGL and Co.
    Eh? Vulkan WSI had first class Wayland support from day 0. No EGL involved with Vulkan.

Originally posted by cynyr View Post
    network tunneling over ssh, so that i can use GVIM or firefox from my server.
    In the worst case, X forwarding works with Xwayland as well as it ever did.

Originally posted by doragasu View Post
    I'm using Sway over Wayland, and what I miss the most is proper multi monitor support. Mirroring is not supported, and screen placement does not always work reliably. But I'm not sure to what extent these problems are because of Wayland or because of Sway.
    It's all Sway.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Read the history of wayland, it was never planned to replace X.
    Yes it was.

As we see after 10 years, it is lacking features that X solutions have.
    As we also see, it lacks those by design.

Leave a comment:

• fernie
    replied
    something similar to xinput to modify input device parameters and disable/enable

Leave a comment:

Working...
X