• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Then why not use X?
    I do use X at the moment. It does work better than Wayland.
    Also you lose some of the benefits of running Wayland if your applications are still going to have to run in X via XWayland.
    So Wayland will become more appealing once Firefox support is finalized, stable and mature.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Easy way to resolve top left positioning of window via Tweak application:
    - Select Windows tab and turn Center New Window on.

That method also works on Gnome Wayland as tested on Fedora 29 and should also apply to the latest stable Ubuntu.

No need as the issue is mostly related on the settings from the desktop environment i.e Gnome Shell.
    But you don't always want it on the center.
    You want some kind of algorithm with intelligent positions.
    So that if you open an app, then another app, then it can maybe open where there is free space on the desktop.
    Or if you open two of the same applications, then they can open slightly below the right, so that you can still see the the titles of both.

Leave a comment:

• alqm
    replied
    I'd like to report that the input lag that used to ruin first person shooters on xwayland in older versions is mostly gone. When comparing playing CS:GO on Xorg and xwayland using Arch nowadays, I only notice that on xwayland it is slightly laggier than Xorg, very little.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    When i ran GNOME under Wayland the window positioning is often bad. I much prefer the window positioning in X.
    When opening an application in GNOME on X then it opens somewhere around the center or where it was last opened.
    But GNOME under Wayland often opens them in the top-left corner always.
    Easy way to resolve top left positioning of window via Tweak application:
    - Select Windows tab and turn Center New Window on.

That method also works on Gnome Wayland as tested on Fedora 29 and should also apply to the latest stable Ubuntu.

Originally posted by You- View Post
    The window position on Wayland does still need some work - it will probably require a new protocol extension
    No need as the issue is mostly related on the settings from the desktop environment i.e Gnome Shell.

Last edited by finalzone; 22 March 2019, 02:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    When i ran GNOME under Wayland the window positioning is often bad. I much prefer the window positioning in X.
    When opening an application in GNOME on X then it opens somewhere around the center or where it was last opened.
    But GNOME under Wayland often opens them in the top-left corner always.
    Then why not use X?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisse View Post

GNOME on Wayland tries to place windows in empty spaces (whenever possible), starting from the top left and working towards the bottom right I think. I actually find it quite useful because it requires less manual intervention to organize windows.
    I actually find it quite annoying. I like windows opening up in the center of the screen and hate it when they open up somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    The window position on Wayland does still need some work - it will probably require a new protocol extension.

My use case is an ultrawide monitor where I use the right half for the web browser. it always opens in the left half - it remembers size but not position.

Leave a comment:

• guildem
    replied
    Originally posted by frank007 View Post
    Can be Wayland used without any compositor (Weston, ect.)?
    Wayland is a protocol, compositors are implementations. If you don't have compositor, then you don't have any window manager.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Can be Wayland used without any compositor (Weston, ect.)?

Leave a comment:

• Hans Bull
    replied
    Applications that need Wayland support:
    Electron doesnt need Wayland supports, it needs to die.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X