Wayland 1.17 Released With Updated Protocol & Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    When i ran GNOME under Wayland the window positioning is often bad. I much prefer the window positioning in X.
    When opening an application in GNOME on X then it opens somewhere around the center or where it was last opened.
    But GNOME under Wayland often opens them in the top-left corner always.
    Easy way to resolve top left positioning of window via Tweak application:
    - Select Windows tab and turn Center New Window on.

That method also works on Gnome Wayland as tested on Fedora 29 and should also apply to the latest stable Ubuntu.

Originally posted by You- View Post
    The window position on Wayland does still need some work - it will probably require a new protocol extension
    No need as the issue is mostly related on the settings from the desktop environment i.e Gnome Shell.

Last edited by finalzone; 22 March 2019, 02:16 AM.

Comment

I'd like to report that the input lag that used to ruin first person shooters on xwayland in older versions is mostly gone. When comparing playing CS:GO on Xorg and xwayland using Arch nowadays, I only notice that on xwayland it is slightly laggier than Xorg, very little.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Easy way to resolve top left positioning of window via Tweak application:
        - Select Windows tab and turn Center New Window on.

That method also works on Gnome Wayland as tested on Fedora 29 and should also apply to the latest stable Ubuntu.

No need as the issue is mostly related on the settings from the desktop environment i.e Gnome Shell.
        But you don't always want it on the center.
        You want some kind of algorithm with intelligent positions.
        So that if you open an app, then another app, then it can maybe open where there is free space on the desktop.
        Or if you open two of the same applications, then they can open slightly below the right, so that you can still see the the titles of both.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Then why not use X?
          I do use X at the moment. It does work better than Wayland.
          Also you lose some of the benefits of running Wayland if your applications are still going to have to run in X via XWayland.
          So Wayland will become more appealing once Firefox support is finalized, stable and mature.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post
            Electron doesnt need Wayland supports, it needs to die.
            I don't know where you get that from.
            But Electron is built upon Chromium, so once Chromium gets support for Wayland then Electron can inherit it.

Hello, I am wondering if there are plans to introduce Electron with native Wayland compatibility (not x-wayland). Or if it already exists using something like Chromium's Ozone We are running electr...

Electron version: any Operating system: Linux Expected behavior Latest Ubuntu comes with Wayland a default display server. On embedded devices, wayland provides usually the best rendering performan...

Comment

Also you lose some of the benefits of running Wayland
              Which are?

Comment

Which are?
                Well, if I am going to run everything through XWayland, then whats the point of using Wayland. Then tha is just extra overhead, and I might aswayll just run X.Org Server instead.

So for Wayland to be compelling, then the software that I most commonly use needs run native on Wayland.
                So for me, that is Firefox.

Comment

Well, if I am going to run everything through XWayland, then whats the point of using Wayland. Then tha is just extra overhead, and I might aswayll just run X.Org Server instead.

So for Wayland to be compelling, then the software that I most commonly use needs run native on Wayland.
                  So for me, that is Firefox.
                  You misunderstood my question.

What I meant is, what are the benefits of using a Wayland compositor over X.Org? I asked that since you said "Also you lose some of the benefits of running Wayland", which implies Wayland has benefits, but I am not aware of any *real* benefits...

Comment

You misunderstood my question.

What I meant is, what are the benefits of using a Wayland compositor over X.Org? I asked that since you said "Also you lose some of the benefits of running Wayland", which implies Wayland has benefits, but I am not aware of any *real* benefits...
                    It is more secure. Applications cannot spy on other applications.
                    Perhaps it is more secure.
                    Perhaps more light-weight. Perhaps less overhead.
                    Perhaps renders smoother and less frame skips and jitter.

Comment

It is more secure. Applications cannot spy on other applications.
                      Perhaps it is more secure.
                      Can somebody implement a permission system on X please? I want to respond.

Perhaps more light-weight. Perhaps less overhead.
                      X could also have this property.

Perhaps renders smoother and less frame skips and jitter.
                      My patched KWin also has this feature.

Also, where's my middle click paste? Why does it take down my entire desktop when the compositor crashes? Can I have server-side decorations on every Wayland compositor? (if GNOME does not want so, it does not mean everyone has to follow)

Comment

Working...
                      X