Wayland-Spun Firefox Is Being Given More Time To Get Ready For Fedora 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
    This is good news. I like the idea of a replacement for X but so far Wayland seemed to be in practice a host for shims to run X apps. A native web browser is the most important thing Wayland could get, besides a terminal emulator.
    +1 Those two things and more people testing it with various configurations.

Comment

Looks like GPU accelerated video encoding / decoding in Firefox isn't moving anywhere. Quite annoying for WebRTC video calls on a relatively weak laptop.

Comment

This is good news. I like the idea of a replacement for X but so far Wayland seemed to be in practice a host for shims to run X apps. A native web browser is the most important thing Wayland could get, besides a terminal emulator.
        This is working as intended. The real value for developers will be when they can stop working on the X version and fully commit to the Wayland version. That requires a world where everyone is running Wayland and all X apps are run as a shim, so when the X apps die, it's a seamless transition to native Wayland apps. Red Hat switching over to Wayland will probably get us a lot closer to this, Fedora feeds into Red Hat so.....

Comment

Now we just need Flatpak support

Comment

There are several terminals that are wayland native, and as far as I am aware most "standard" GTK3 and QT5 apps run in wayland mode by default when running a wayland compositor. The browsers (or browser-based apps, electron and such) are the one big thing that hasn't been moved over yet.

Comment

Working...
            X