• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    KellyClowers

• KellyClowers
    replied
    Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
    This is good news. I like the idea of a replacement for X but so far Wayland seemed to be in practice a host for shims to run X apps. A native web browser is the most important thing Wayland could get, besides a terminal emulator.
    There are several terminals that are wayland native, and as far as I am aware most "standard" GTK3 and QT5 apps run in wayland mode by default when running a wayland compositor. The browsers (or browser-based apps, electron and such) are the one big thing that hasn't been moved over yet.

Leave a comment:

• woprandi
    Phoronix Member

• woprandi
    replied
    Now we just need Flatpak support

Leave a comment:

• Geopirate

• Geopirate
    replied
    This is good news. I like the idea of a replacement for X but so far Wayland seemed to be in practice a host for shims to run X apps. A native web browser is the most important thing Wayland could get, besides a terminal emulator.
    This is working as intended. The real value for developers will be when they can stop working on the X version and fully commit to the Wayland version. That requires a world where everyone is running Wayland and all X apps are run as a shim, so when the X apps die, it's a seamless transition to native Wayland apps. Red Hat switching over to Wayland will probably get us a lot closer to this, Fedora feeds into Red Hat so.....

Leave a comment:

• shmerl

• shmerl
    replied
    Looks like GPU accelerated video encoding / decoding in Firefox isn't moving anywhere. Quite annoying for WebRTC video calls on a relatively weak laptop.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    +1 Those two things and more people testing it with various configurations.

Leave a comment:

• hoohoo

• hoohoo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Compartmentalisation
    Phoronix Member

• Compartmentalisation
    replied
    Originally posted by MastaG View Post
    Try the chromium-ozone-wayland branch, you'll have to build it yourself though but it works great
    Hey thank you! This can also use VAAPI so that's nice. I hope that maybe there will be an up-to-date copr, or rpmfusion version of it somewhere some day. I see https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...test/packages/ but that's 4 months old so..

Leave a comment:

• treba

• treba
    replied
    It got somewhat unnoticed I think, but stransky also spun up a thunderbird-wayland package for fedora 29. He couldn't backport all wayland patches to the LTS core, but for me it's running great.

The Wayland work is AFAIK completely shared by FF and TB (it's all in 'core').

Leave a comment:

• MastaG

• MastaG
    replied
    Try the chromium-ozone-wayland branch, you'll have to build it yourself though but it works great

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag

• schmidtbag
    replied
    About time. This is a big leap in the right direction.

Annoyingly, my laptop is the only system I use with Wayland, and, it's also the only system I own where I use Chromium. Personally, I wish Chrome(ium) got Wayland support first but I'm not in the slightest unhappy with Firefox's progress.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X