Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Latest Proposal For Wayland Content Protection Protocol (HDCP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yes, you are. In at least Germany and the Netherlands, it's legal. In fact, here in the Netherlands, we even pay an added government tax when buying physical media (I kid you not!) to be allowed to make said copies.
    We have this "tax" in Germany as well, but it doesn't mean you can copy whatever you want. Again: In Germany, if it has a copy protection, you aren't allowed to make a backup (ยง 108b UrhG).

Of course nobody gives a fuck about it when you make backups of your discs for private use only. But still, it's illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post

That doesn't make sense at all. So if you were able to circumvent a copy protection, you could always say "It's not working, so it's legal!" and the law wouldn't make sense.
      that's true. but why do you think law always has to make sense?
      if that would be the case and law would be totally clear we wouldnt need courts

Comment

@flower: The law wouldn't make sense by it's own definition. It's like saying "I'm not allowed to steal your car? Well I didn't steal it, because it's mine now and not yours!" In that sense you could NEVER violate the law.

What you actually CAN do is to abuse the "analog loophole": You are allowed to record audio and video while playing the movie on your device. You aren't breaking the copy protection this way.

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post

We have this "tax" in Germany as well, but it doesn't mean you can copy whatever you want. Again: In Germany, if it has a copy protection, you aren't allowed to make a backup (ยง 108b UrhG).

Of course nobody gives a fuck about it when you make backups of your discs for private use only. But still, it's illegal.
          you should read that paragraph ยง 108b UrhG again.
          it explicitly talks about circumventing working(!) protections not about protections in general.

Comment

When I game on my PS4 (which is HDCP protected), I pass the video output through a splitter so that I can send a copy of the gameplay into my Fedora box with FFMPEG for live streaming to Facebook (Sony does not do direct Facebook Live).

Will this HDCP implementation stop me from publishing any more live gameplay feeds to Facebook?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              When I game on my PS4 (which is HDCP protected), I pass the video output through a splitter so that I can send a copy of the gameplay into my Fedora box with FFMPEG for live streaming to Facebook (Sony does not do direct Facebook Live).

Will this HDCP implementation stop me from publishing any more live gameplay feeds to Facebook?
              HDCP is only used for the video playback functions of the PS4 (disc, download, and streaming) and not for gaming, unless specified for whatever weird reason. It won't affect you in the slightest, since you are just using a video signal duplicator.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Wait, you mean Firefox devs didn't listed to the FOSS crowd who didn't like DRM??? I now wonder what people like uid313 use for web browsing...
                I use Firefox on desktop.
                On my phone I use Chrome. I don't like Firefox on mobile because when long-pressing a link, the first option is Share and in 99% of cases I want to open the link in a a new tab.
                Chrome also gives me this nice news feed.
                Last edited by uid313; 28 January 2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Or provide some way to spoof it.
                  So it informs whatever queries the API that it is running in a secure context even though it does not.

Some method that always returns true. Or a method that checks for an environment variable or some flag.
                  That wouldn't help you. It'd just stop playback from working.

On modern systems, the "decrypt and decode BluRay, then encrypt the resulting frames with HDCP" step is handled by offloading decryption to the Intel ME or AMD PSP core in your CPU so your open-source OS never has access to the data while in a decrypted state or the decryption keys. HDCP support at the OS level is all about making sure that things like compositing the frames from the HDCP-encrypted stream can still be done in cases like "I have a discrete GPU".

Comment

I just love how almost no one here has the slightest clue how HDCP key negotiation, key selection, certificate revocation, key distribution/update, logo certification, etc works and just assume stuff.
                    It doesn't work the way you think it does. It's retarded, but not in the way you think it is, and it can be circumvented in whole lot of ways but not the methods that everyone 'shared'.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post

HDCP is only used for the video playback functions of the PS4 (disc, download, and streaming) and not for gaming, unless specified for whatever weird reason. It won't affect you in the slightest, since you are just using a video signal duplicator.
                      To add to that, even if it did effect sending video output from splitters to PCs in some way, there are HDCP stripping dongles that can be added between the splitter and the computer. Some splitters have HDCP stripping built-in.

Sometimes the dongles are necessary because the person has a crappy or old TV and HDCP content makes it act up. My Mom's first HDTV from Phillips was like the with the Roku 3 -- adding a dongle made it so she didn't have to unplug and plug the HDMI cable in when the HDCP would act up and stop all output from the Roku. Her TV did the same things with the PS3 and PS4. Her new TV doesn't need the dongle for anything.

HDCP is essentially broke in regards to physical video and audio output and all one needs is a dongle from Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                      X