Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Latest Proposal For Wayland Content Protection Protocol (HDCP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Latest Proposal For Wayland Content Protection Protocol (HDCP)

Phoronix: The Latest Proposal For Wayland Content Protection Protocol (HDCP)

Over the past year alone there have been multiple attempts at delivering a content protection protocol for Wayland to handle the likes of HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). From Intel there is the latest protocol proposal out today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gross. Anti-freedom nonsense doesn't belong in OSS

Comment

So the GPL does not belong in OSS? 🤔 It's a very restricted license.
      i think freedom is when you're allowed to restrict permissions.

Comment

I hope distros will eventually patch this out.

Comment

I have no interest in this.
          This provides no additional security or protection for me.
          It protects content from me.

Comment

You don't want this? Fine. Don't use any HDCP protected content or disable HDCP.

No one that wants this actually likes HDCP, but it's there. You can either not support it, at the loss of people not being able to play certain media, or write an open source implementation of it so those who need or want to view the content can.

Hollywood isn't going to change because some guy on the internet doesn't want the OS to support HDCP.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
              I hope distros will eventually patch this out.
              Or provide some way to spoof it.
              So it informs whatever queries the API that it is running in a secure context even though it does not.

Some method that always returns true. Or a method that checks for an environment variable or some flag.

Code:
              public bool is_context_secure()
              {
                  return true;
              }
              Code:
              public bool is_context_secure()
              {
                  if (environment["CONTEXT_SECURE"]) {
                      return true;
                  }
                  return supports_hdcp;
              }

Comment

I love all these arrogant, clueless comments.

Like "oh no, please don't. The content providers won't eliminate this requirement for those 2 dozen users, so we won't achieve anything besides preventing our users from accessing their content, but still, DRM is bad, mmkay?"

Classic uninformed gag-reflex from the Stallman herd.

Comment

As a user I'm happy that these changes are being added. Before Firefox adopted the DRM changes, I was forced to use the non-free Google Chrome browser to watch Netflix. At least now I can use my favorite FOSS browser to watch Netflix.

Comment

Linux already supports HTTPS, SSH and diverse other "content protection mechanisms".
                    So whats the deal the with providing HDCP, not your data, so not your concern? The word for that is egoism not freedom.

Comment

Working...
                    X