Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zoomblab
    replied
    Before Wayland we had THE X protocol and THE X server implementation of the protocol. It might have been ugly but all efforts were concentrated on THE single X implementation.

Now we have THE Wayland protocol and DOZENS of Wayland server implementations, each with their own little peculiarities. I guess this is considered progress.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What? I always thought "X" or "X11" meant the protocol and "X.Org" the server...
    X is an abbreviation which can mean both.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Wayland is a protocol. Actual servers / compositors use Wayland. KWin / Mutter are KDE / Gnome examples. Mir is another example (not sure what it's going to be used for). It's different from X, where X itself meant the protocol and the server.
    What? I always thought "X" or "X11" meant the protocol and "X.Org" the server...

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
    I thought Wayland was to be a replacement for X. Now we have X/Wayland shims and compats and embeds. What's the point? I may as well stay with X.
    Wayland is a protocol. Actual servers / compositors use Wayland. KWin / Mutter are KDE / Gnome examples. Mir is another example (not sure what it's going to be used for). It's different from X, where X itself meant the protocol and the server.

Leave a comment:

• hoohoo
    replied
    I thought Wayland was to be a replacement for X. Now we have X/Wayland shims and compats and embeds. What's the point? I may as well stay with X.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    I hope this is a good news for the wayland integration.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by frank007 View Post
    Wow, I always thought Debian was the last main distro to adopt systemd.
    There was a heated (and lengthy) debate, and Debian developers decided to go with systemd. Right choice IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• the_scx
    replied
    Originally posted by frank007 View Post
    I'm surprised that Canonical never started a project about a new Linux kernel ehm
    Have you already forgotten about Canonical's romance with Microsoft? That's how the WSL (Linux kernel clone) was born.

In fact, the Windows Subsystem for Linux was made from the ashes of Project Astoria (Android emulator for Windows 10 Mobile), but Canonical still had a big impact on creating Bash for Windows.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Veto View Post

Ubuntu adopted Systemd because Debian chose Systemd. Shuttleworth actually lobbied for Upstart, but honored Debians choice.
    Personally I quite like Systemd, although there is some getting used to with command names and all. But it seems much more robust and well designed than the shell-script mess it replaces.

But everyone's choice to their own. There are plenty of other distros to choose from. No need to restart a new trollish flamewar on this subject.....
    Wow, I always thought Debian was the last main distro to adopt systemd.

Leave a comment:

• Veto
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You mean systemkerneld.
    Ubuntu adopted Systemd because Debian chose Systemd. Shuttleworth actually lobbied for Upstart, but honored Debians choice.
    Personally I quite like Systemd, although there is some getting used to with command names and all. But it seems much more robust and well designed than the shell-script mess it replaces.

But everyone's choice to their own. There are plenty of other distros to choose from. No need to restart a new trollish flamewar on this subject.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X