Firefox 59 Might Ship With Working Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
    Does anyone here use the middle button for pasting? I only ever use it on the terminal, if ever.
    YES!
    Actually, I extensively use the fact that ctrl-C ( +V) and select ( + middle click) are two distinct paste boxes (In KDE).

Comment

Does anyone here use the middle button for pasting? I only ever use it on the terminal, if ever.
      Originally posted by Lord_Phoenix View Post
      Hardly, most mice these days made wheel-click so uncomfortable...

Indeed, using middle button is not comfortable, but I set middle click to be emulated by clicking both left and right buttons at the same time. Works perfectly.

Comment

For example for my mouse:

Code:
        xinput --list-props 'Logitech G400s Optical Gaming Mouse'
        libinput Middle Emulation Enabled (290):        1
        To emulate middle click with simultaneous left + right clicks, it can be set like this:

Code:
        xinput set-prop "Logitech G400s Optical Gaming Mouse" "libinput Middle Emulation Enabled" 1
        Not sure why KDE doesn't provide a good GUI for libinput settings.
        Last edited by shmerl; 25 January 2018, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Why Cairo? I thought Firefox switched to Skia. Can't Skia work with Wayland too?

And in practice I don't expect proper switch to Wayland until Firefox will switch to Webrender to begin with, which will basically replace the whole rendering path.

A pity they can't use vulkano, because they need to work around MS and Apple lock-in jerks (Metal and DX12).
          Webrender works well on Nightly on Linux, I have activated it on all my machines to provide feedback, in the last weeks it did run really stable.

Comment

Always! Unless I need several pastes at the same time, I rarely use ctrl + c, ctrl + v when on Linux.

Comment

Now if only Firefox will ship with working hardware video decoding and Opera-level battery saving.
              Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 25 January 2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

never. I find no real advantage over keyboard combos, especially with clipboard tools.

Comment

Open a link in a new tab with right click like a caveman? Never!!!

Also, I get infuriated every time I am on Windows and can't paste using middle click. Its something I always brag about to Windows users, how much more convenient Linux is on shortcuts.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Webrender works well on Nightly on Linux, I have activated it on all my machines to provide feedback, in the last weeks it did run really stable.
                    Does it work with Wayland in such case, or still has to rely on XWayland?

Comment

On laptop no, on desktop yes.

I guess that technically you don't need the Alt key to use a computer (to enable a hidden file menu bar, there's F10). Most vital things use Ctrl. So, I propose we drop support for the Alt key in Wayland or Gnome-wayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X