F1 2017 Will Be The First Vulkan-Only Linux Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    are there even Windows games that are DX12-only?
    If I not mistaken, Microsoft Xbox One games ported to W10 are all DX12 only. There must be about 10 or less of those ports.

Comment

Bold move doing this so early on (are there even Windows games that are DX12-only?), but kudos to the devs for making this decision. Unfortunately, it may result in a lot of negative reviews, due to misinformed people. But, this isn't a casual game so I don't suspect they're going to get a lot of ignorant customers.
      We're Linux users; I'd like to think we're a bit more informed

Comment

Looking forward to the future!
        Kudoz!

Comment

Bold move doing this so early on (are there even Windows games that are DX12-only?), but kudos to the devs for making this decision. Unfortunately, it may result in a lot of negative reviews, due to misinformed people. But, this isn't a casual game so I don't suspect they're going to get a lot of ignorant customers.
          Actually all MS backed Windows 10 store only ports are DX12 exclusively (Forza series, Gears of Wars, etc.).
          But wait, there's more: the first Vulkan only title just released last week on Windows!
          Yes, Wolfenstein the new colossus is Vulkan only!

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post

Actually all MS backed Windows 10 store only ports are DX12 exclusively (Forza series, Gears of Wars, etc.).
            But wait, there's more: the first Vulkan only title just released last week on Windows!
            Yes, Wolfenstein the new colossus is Vulkan only!
            I did not know about Wolfenstein. Via Google I got into a Nvidia forum were people are crying about this game being Vulkan only, they want OpenGL back, etc. Kids these days...

Comment

Since it's Linuks we're talking about, i think it's safe to assume whoever buys the game knows what they're doing...
              Therefore i wish all the success for Feral and F1 2017 on Linuks.

Comment

Mind you, this is still a Windows game translated to Vulkan.
                But since in all previous ports the translation layer seems to be a serious bottleneck, it will be very interesting to see what Vulkan can do. Unfortunately, the code won't be available so we still won't be able to say anything about the quality of the translation layer.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post

AMD Linux users have a bit of a problem because there are a lot on GCN 1.0 and GCN 1.1 with quite fast hardware but they are still on the radeon drm kernel driver with no access to Vulkan. AMD needs to make amdgpu DRM the default yesterday and stop the fragmentation...
                  I'm using RADV on CIK (GCN 1.1) here so it is accessible if the right package is available. Older distros might lack those packages but they aren't the only game in the village; people can upgrade/change distros if they want to run the latest games.

Comment

Feral has the brave heart, probably they want get rid from their opengl wrapper
                    you have my vote guys.

PS.
                    I played with Verde(gcn1) + vulkan + Talos game about year ago. It was easy.
                    Last edited by frosth; 30 October 2017, 07:31 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I did not know about Wolfenstein. Via Google I got into a Nvidia forum were people are crying about this game being Vulkan only, they want OpenGL back, etc. Kids these days...
                      NVidia chose not to provide Vulkan drivers for Fermi (5xx) and earlier series. On Wikipedia or Steam page there is no explicit info saying that game is Vulkan only. I would say it is understandable why some people are surprised.
                      Last edited by reavertm; 30 October 2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X