X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Hey, here's a crazy idea. Why don't we finish putting the functionality into the driver that the control panel would control first ?

Otherwise you end up with something like the second steering wheel people put in front of toddlers in the car - you can push the buttons and slide the sliders but nothing much happens. First we need the driver functionality, then we need some kind of ugly registry-thing to let settings persist across reboots/reloads and only then does it make sense to spend much time on a control panel.
    We understand, really. I would love for AMD to say, hey guys heres a control panel, but that hasn't happened. But really whether AMD does it or somebody else does it, the bottom line is it needs done. You guys keep working on exposing driver functionality, obviously that's the prerequisite for a decent control panel. You guys are doing a fantastic job. Please don't let our impatience waiting for such an important thing as a control panel distract you.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Hey, here's a crazy idea. Why don't we finish putting the functionality into the driver that the control panel would control first ?

Otherwise you end up with something like the second steering wheel people put in front of toddlers in the car - you can push the buttons and slide the sliders but nothing much happens. First we need the driver functionality, then we need some kind of ugly registry-thing to let settings persist across reboots/reloads and only then does it make sense to spend much time on a control panel.
    Last edited by bridgman; 11 July 2017, 08:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    The only thing thing I wish we had was a decent GUI control panel for the OSS drivers. There are some cool tools available, but AMD needs to get on the ball and put together a unified interface that makes sense. Imo at least. I wish I had the skillz to do it myself. It needs done.

Leave a comment:

• linuxgeex
    replied
    Yeah, this is the thing that drives me crazy... we went from "ATI/AMD is evil because they have proprietary drivers and so nobody else can work on support" to "ATI/AMD is evil because now that they maintain open source drivers and header files and libraries other people are working on support".

We just got a big dose of this on Reddit as well... basically "if anyone else does anything that means that you are doing nothing"
    Not quite. You went from "AMD is evil because they refuse to release documentation for the hardware which would allow us to write a quality open driver" to "AMD is evil because they released enough documentation to allow us to write a quality driver, but they still haven't released documentation for all the hardware tweaks which allow XYZ features to perform better in the closed-source driver"

The latter is a bit of a temper tantrum... we got the orange lollipop but we wanted the grape one. We forget what it was like, not long ago, to have no lolipop at all.

What people forget all the time is that even AMD devs don't have a perfect set of documentation, the proprietary code is probably the best documentation source there is and we're just plain not going to get that, possibly because it's full of patent infringements that would get AMD sued into the stone ages, possibly because it's full of NDA'd patented sources from 3rd parties, possibly because it implies industrial espionage into competitors, or who knows, lol, maybe it even has a handful of novel techniques AMD are actively trying to hide from NVidia's industrial espionage team... lol... anyhow you have your reasons to keep it hidden, and in turn you get the jealousy of those you gifted so much to already. Cuz we want it all, we want it all, we want it all, and we want it now! ;-)

Leave a comment:

• wdb974
    replied
    Yeah, this is the thing that drives me crazy... we went from "ATI/AMD is evil because they have proprietary drivers and so nobody else can work on support" to "ATI/AMD is evil because now that they maintain open source drivers and header files and libraries other people are working on support".

We just got a big dose of this on Reddit as well... basically "if anyone else does anything that means that you are doing nothing"
    I suppose some of the people criticizing you weren't the same. But anyway, you'll always be criticized no matter what! It's easier to find a scapegoat rather than reading up on foreign concepts (open source, IT in general) and admitting one was wrong.

So, just keep being awesome! I'm planning to move to Linux as soon as I can get rid of my Windows-only printer (and also when I finish those Windows-only games).

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied

don't worry bridgman - the people who know wtf is going on still love ya! don't let the trolls get you down!

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied

Last edited by bridgman; 10 July 2017, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    It's a shame that non-AMD developers do the whole work. – Why should I buy AMD again?!
    It's difficult to imagine a more stupid comment than this.

If you actually looked into the matter, you would have seen that:
    • The AMD proprietary driver did this, so the work was done by their developers.
    • The OSS driver ended up getting the numbers from addrlib, which is a library amd developers wrote to do this kind of thing. So they did the work twice.
    • If you don't want other people than the manufacturer able to do anything on the driver, then OSS is exactly the opposite of what you want in the first place and you should know that. The fact that a 3rd party person can come along and hack on the driver if they want to is nothing but a good thing.

If this is the best trolls can attack AMD right now, then they're getting very desperate.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 10 July 2017, 07:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    It's a shame that non-AMD developers do the whole work. – Why should I buy AMD again?!
    AMD Vulkan driver already did this so AMD developers had already done the work. RADV is not the Vulkan driver that AMD has been working on, but a community effort. There is really no reason to blame AMD here, you need to look for that somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X