The State Of Vulkan For Qt 5.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    I understand the need to support OpenGL since that works on both Linux and Windows, but I don't get why would anyone waste their time to support DX 12, which works only on Windows and even there is only working only on Windows 10, wich is full of spyware and other crapware and smart people will never install it.
    Ahem, we feel the need to interrupt scheduled transmissions to inform people that win10 is the latest and greatest and it was even a free upgrade (not that cracking it is anywhere near hard, anyway), everyone that has any understanding of IT is running it.

Which is still a minority, anyway. But most people don't install it because they are plain oblivious to the whole thing, or they are businnesses so they will cling to whatever they have purchased until there is a little bit left.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I had no Idea that OpenGL is not well supported on Windows.
      I just played some games and runned some benchmarks on Windows in the past, where I switched the renderer fromDirectX to OpenGL and I didn't observe any difference or glitch.
      It's mostly the old Intel drivers that really suck at OpenGL on windows. Nowadays, if you have an up to date driver they generally work ok, but tons of systems out there run Intel drivers from 5 years ago because the user hasn't updated their driver since they bought the PC. That's something that general purpose software like browsers and toolkits need to gracefully handle, unlike games which can much more easily require their users to have updated systems.

The AMD drivers also kind of suck at GL on windows, but mostly just in terms of performance and that's also gotten better over time. NVidia drivers tend to run ok.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 06 June 2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

It's mostly the old Intel drivers that really suck at OpenGL on windows. Nowadays, if you have an up to date driver they generally work ok, but tons of systems out there run Intel drivers from 5 years ago because the user hasn't updated their driver since they bought the PC. That's something that general purpose software like browsers and toolkits need to gracefully handle, unlike games which can much more easily require their users to have updated systems.

The AMD drivers also kind of suck at GL on windows, but mostly just in terms of performance and that's also gotten better over time. NVidia drivers tend to run ok.
        Also Microsoft provides large amounts of the actual DX implementation and it's shared across GPU vendors so if you primarily support Windows, DX is just less effort to have for drivers. For cross-platform implementations (amdgpu-pro, nvidia) the OpenGL implementation is a requirement for other platforms so it's not as clear anymore whether OpenGL is too expensive to develop. Clearly AMD and nVidia think it isn't

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

the intel driver update utility on my laptop says i shouldnt update my intel drivers which are tailored by the vendor for my laptop. so yeah...

Comment

Working...
          X