No announcement yet.

RADV Vulkan Driver Has Patches For Radeon RX Vega Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vulkan is userspace code, so largely independent of kernel considerations.

IIRC there a couple of kernel changes required to support it but AFAIK those are not considered to be problematic - the only reason they have not been sent for upstream pull yet is lack of an open source userspace which requires them.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Vulkan is userspace code, so largely independent of kernel considerations.

IIRC there a couple of kernel changes required to support it but AFAIK those are not considered to be problematic - the only reason they have not been sent for upstream pull yet is lack of an open source userspace which requires them.
      It was mentioned that there's little interest in the Windows vs. Linux Vulkan code bases diverging.

If the Vulkan userspace code is to run on both DC/DAL and Windows, I figured it was worth asking if the necessary architectural work (both on the Vulkan and the DC/DAL side of things) will be beneficial to both code bases?

This is based on the assumption that the AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan userspace drivers need to talk to both the Windows and the Linux kernel (AMDGPU DC) drivers if they want to drive e.g. an RX Vega.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding things?
      Last edited by ermo; 07 June 2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

It was mentioned that there's little interest in the Windows vs. Linux Vulkan code bases diverging.

If the Vulkan userspace code is to run on both DC/DAL and Windows, I figured it was worth asking if the necessary architectural work (both on the Vulkan and the DC/DAL side of things) will be beneficial to both code bases?

This is based on the assumption that the AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan userspace drivers need to talk to both the Windows and the Linux kernel (AMDGPU DC) drivers if they want to drive e.g. an RX Vega.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding things?
        The code that handles the display parts of the GPU (DC or the legacy modesetting code) is irrelevant; both expose standard KMS modesetting APIs. The bottom of the vulkan stack (the part that talks to the kernel driver) has different code for each OS. This is same way the winsys layer in gallium in mesa works, but at the moment there are only gallium winsys modules for Linux. Someone could in theory write one for another OS.

Comment

Working...
        X