Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSPIRV: Google's Rust Implementation Of SPIR-V

Phoronix: RSPIRV: Google's Rust Implementation Of SPIR-V

Google developers have been working on a number of open-source projects in the Vulkan space and one of their latest is SPIR-V processing with Rust...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder, whether having this available, will it give a boost to the Rust community to be able to write not just host side, but device side code as well in Rust?

Comment

Originally posted by Meteorhead View Post
      I wonder, whether having this available, will it give a boost to the Rust community...
      The fact that google is developing something in Rust should already give some boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
        The fact that google is developing something in Rust should already give some boost.
        Well, this just a 20% side project of some Google employee AFAICT, and so is the Xi editor (also in Rust—at least the core), which has existed for a few months already

Comment

What really needs to be written in Rust is parsers and decoders to prevent exploits.

Like GStreamer and FFmpeg.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            What really needs to be written in Rust is parsers and decoders to prevent exploits.

Like GStreamer and FFmpeg.
            In my opinion, drivers and kernels, too.

Comment

It gives me a warm feeling inside when I see Google using Mozilla's Rust that likely ends up benefiting end users.

Comment

I totally agree. Thanks, Google for choosing the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

In my opinion, drivers and kernels, too.
                  Though these don't automatically benefit from Rust's memory management help, because you can still mess up managing physical address space, which is outside the realm of the compiler.

BUT: if you have well-implemented memory protection, you can abstract it with pretty low overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                    ...and kernels, too.
                    Linus would propably think otherwise. :P At least he's been bashing C++ without sparing any words.
                    Last edited by Zucca; 12 February 2017, 09:28 AM. Reason: Typo correction.

Comment

Working...
                    X