Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the problem with wine now is the lack of dx11

Comment

I would really only see this as a worth-while project if it get accepted into mainline wine. The reason Gallium-nine isn't accepted is because it's specific to Linux, but Vulkan isn't Linux-specific. Instead, it's hardware specific. That being said, it would make a lot more sense if this focused on DX11 and DX12 rather than DX9, because most DX11 hardware is Vulkan compatible, but most DX9 hardware is not.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I would really only see this as a worth-while project if it get accepted into mainline wine. The reason Gallium-nine isn't accepted is because it's specific to Linux, but Vulkan isn't Linux-specific. Instead, it's hardware specific. That being said, it would make a lot more sense if this focused on DX11 and DX12 rather than DX9, because most DX11 hardware is Vulkan compatible, but most DX9 hardware is not.
        AFAICT, this has nothing to do with wine. It's just a drop-in replacement dll for DX9 at the windows library level.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          AFAICT, this has nothing to do with wine. It's just a drop-in replacement dll for DX9 at the windows library level.
          Well if it isn't for Wine then what else would it be for? It would automatically be slower than DX in Windows, React OS would benefit more from getting legitimate driver support than a compatibility layer, and I'm not aware of a single non-MS OS that supports DX applications. I'm not saying you're wrong, but wine is kind of the implied use for this, isn't it?

Comment

schmidtbag AFAIK what he's saying is he thinks you could just drop this onto a Wine installation (assuming Vulkan pass through support) without having to need any Wine changes for supporting it.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Considering the recent benchmark with Vulkan vs OpenGL on DOTA2 and how Nvidia cards perform with DX12/Vulkan in Windows, there's not much value for DX9->Vulkan on Linux. I'm sure someday it will be, but I'm excited for Gallium Nine, which would be a good short term and long term solution for Wine. Of course there's no reason not to have both.

Comment

Working...
              X