Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VK9: Still Pursuing Direct3D 9 Over Vulkan

Phoronix: VK9: Still Pursuing Direct3D 9 Over Vulkan

VK9 is the project formerly known as SchaeferGL as an open-source project implementing Direct3D 9 over Vulkan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Considering that DX9 works pretty alright under wine and even better with the Gallium9 patches, I would rather have seen someone work on DX11 over Vulkan

Comment

These are great news for my Asus N76V laptop! League of legends works poorly on OpenGL with wine and Dota 2 OpenGL performance sucks for whatever reason... With Vulkan Dota 2 performance has improved significantly on this hardware and hopefully D3DX9 to Vulkan will also improve LoL performance!

Comment

While I love and use Gallium Nine all the time, it seems apparent that it will only ever serve one GPU vendor since Intel has always refused to adopt Gallium and Nvidia hates freedom period so Nouveau is not competitive in FPS. If a Vulkan based solution can get 90% of the performance and be generic enough that Windows games can just drop in VKX and have a renderer ported that would be so huge for Linux gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
          Considering that DX9 works pretty alright under wine and even better with the Gallium9 patches, I would rather have seen someone work on DX11 over Vulkan
          Or even better, DX12 over Vulkan. They would map together far better than DX11 and Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
            If VK9 turns out to be faster than command stream (or whatever it's called), I would hope this could be expanded to dx9 through dx12 tbh. If it turns out well, I'm sure it would then be not too difficult to port it to Metal to make the wine people happy.

Comment

I'd also rather see DX11. I suspect they don't do that yet because of Shader Model 5 that is needed for that. In fact, if it weren't for SM5, I suspect DX12 would already have been picked up by someone.

Comment

Special wine support may not even be needed. No linux code needed at all. Compile VK9 as as windows DLLs, that's probably how it is now anyway. Drop the DLLs into the game directory, and they will be loaded instead of system DLLs. (Just like proxy DLLs we often use for modding.) There you have your Vulkan game. Wine at some point will probably support Vulkan "pass-through" anyway, just like now with OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  Special wine support may not even be needed. No linux code needed at all. Compile VK9 as as windows DLLs, that's probably how it is now anyway. Drop the DLLs into the game directory, and they will be loaded instead of system DLLs. (Just like proxy DLLs we often use for modding.) There you have your Vulkan game. Wine at some point will probably support Vulkan "pass-through" anyway, just like now with OpenGL.
                  Wine-staging 1.9.6 added support for Vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    While I love and use Gallium Nine all the time, it seems apparent that it will only ever serve one GPU vendor since Intel has always refused to adopt Gallium
                    Has Google stopped funding LunarG’s ilo driver for Chromebooks?

Comment

Working...
                    X