Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Been Another Exciting Week Of RADV Development (Radeon Vulkan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Auggh. Moderated and can't edit. Always at the bottom of a page.

Bleah.

Anyways, frosth what you described is kinda the opposite of what "should work" - we are going to be testing upstream userspace with the amdgpu-pro kernel driver and libdrm, but there is no commitment for amdgpu-pro userspace to work with upstream kernel and libdrm. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't, depending on the delta between current pro kernel driver and upstream kernel driver.

I don't know where the idea of amdgpu-pro just being a couple of closed source drivers that ran over the upstream all-open stack came from, but that has *never* been the plan. It keeps echoing around the internet anyways though.

I do expect that we will approach that state over time, but until we say otherwise we strongly recommend using the entire -pro stack including kernel drivers.
    I'm sorry, I probably didn't track the events good enough, I am confused. As I understand, there's a kernel driver, which is called AMDGPU, and which is open source. So, what is the second kernel driver in the quote "delta between current pro kernel driver and upstream kernel driver"?

Comment

Why do you think that ? The code is 99% the same (other than DAL being used for display in the PRO stack but not the upstream stack at the moment), but sometimes the workstation driver will use IOCTLs that are not acceptable upstream in order to get additional performance and/or features.
      Test signature

Comment

Note to self... avoid making the last post on the page and you won't get moderated all the time (yes previous post was moderated)

Question is how to figure out when you're going to be making the last post on the page...
        Test signature

Comment

Note to self... avoid making the last post on the page and you won't get moderated all the time (yes previous post was moderated)

Question is how to figure out when you're going to be making the last post on the page...
          At least making posts like these I see in my email client right away that there must be some posts stuck in queue, so I can go immediately then check and flush them out.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't know where the idea of amdgpu-pro just being a couple of closed source drivers that ran over the upstream all-open stack came from, but that has *never* been the plan. It keeps echoing around the internet anyways though.
            Are you kidding?

Comment

sorry, posted twice
              Last edited by juno; 11 September 2016, 02:58 PM.

Comment

juno yea i kept this on mind too, but probably -pro doesn't work without the "green" part which may or "May not be upstream"

Comment

That diagram just shows how amdgpu-pro looks like in future perpective and nothing else... it does not tell anywhere that all-open will also run closed source parts

Comment

Right... it's the green bits.

Non-upstream kernel & libdrm code is constantly being pushed upstream as we get open source userspace driver functionality that requires it, but as the current bits get pushed upstream there's a reasonable chance that new non-upstreamable bits will be added.
                    Test signature

Comment

That would be third driver to support AMDGPU-LEGO

Comment

Working...
                      X