Vulkan 1.0.25 Moves To Single-Branch Model, Adds NVIDIA Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    And what I'm saying to you is that these extensions aren't incompatible, but just normal competition. Other vendors can offer the same extension with the same name on their hardware too.
    Well, there are some extensions that are compatible but most of them are not. And this is the opposite of competition. Take for example GL_AMD_debug_output. Not before Khronos did put it into the standard was NVIDIA capable of offering something similar. NVIDIA supports only 6% of the AMD extensions while AMD had of 100% of NVIDIA extensions (unfortunately not on every piece of hardware). This is not competition. To me, this looks like NVIDIA trying to avoid the competition.

Uh, no. On OpenGL the main issue is that you were bunching together professional application developers with game developers.
    And so far the professional application developers won and it remained a semi-prehistoric piece of garbage for way too much time, and even now some of that retrocompatibility is silly in many points.
    You will not help the debate if you artificially create a big divide between "professional application developers" and "game developers". Whatever you mean with these terms. Both groups "are cooking with the same water". Retrocompatibility is in no way a bad thing. You *are* relying on it every day. (perhaps have a look at an operating system). By the way, wasn't it the "game developers" usually jumping around in circles over every new vendor-specific OpenGL-extension?
    There is nothing wrong with a new development form time to time. As Khronos has done with Vulkan. There's also nothing wrong with the existence of the standard-extensions.

Because it's not wrong per-se.
    What is wrong is cutting corners on the driver's compliance to the spec (NVIDIA), so that even programs developed on NVIDIA hardware and targeting non-vendor openGL extensions still fail hard on other vendor's GPUs because their drivers are more strict.
    Here we almost agree. But: To do something because you're officially allowed to, is not always wise. I find the fact that (some of) the vendors are already creating extensions quite troubling. It shows me that the vendors have not learnt anything from what you call "a semi-prehistoric piece of garbage". They will also create the same mess on Vulkan they've done to OpenGL.

This is where my initial remark "They did it again!" comes from.

Comment

Working...
    X