Imagination PowerVR Open-Source GPU Driver To Be Introduced In Linux 6.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagination PowerVR Open-Source GPU Driver To Be Introduced In Linux 6.8

Phoronix: Imagination PowerVR Open-Source GPU Driver To Be Introduced In Linux 6.8

It's been well over a decade since many were wanting open-source Imagination PowerVR graphics when their graphics IP was more common among SoCs, but with the Linux 6.8 kernel in early 2024 there will finally be an upstream, open-source PowerVR DRM kernel graphics driver! But before getting your hopes too high, this is the effort that's only around the newer PowerVR graphics and not the prior generation hardware from many years ago...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"But before getting your hopes too high, this is the effort that's only around the newer PowerVR graphics and not the prior generation hardware from many years ago."

"PowerVR Rogue AXE-1-16M GPU"

The Rogue architecture IS old though. The series started in 2013. That being said AXE isn't Rogue. It's part of the A Series.
    Last edited by Myownfriend; 23 November 2023, 11:56 AM.

Comment

So no kyro ii??

Comment

Hopefully, with the foundation laid, older chips can eventually be supported as well.

Comment

So many great SoCs were kneecapped by the lack of this. Long overdue. Great job from the kernel community, mesa, and Imagination.

Comment

PowerVR one the risc-v market I would not be surprised if a lot of this is motivated by that. IMO Imagination realized that they had a massive opportunity to dominate risc-v market, but to keep any hold of it, open drivers are necessary, (Im sure many of us know the pain of arm socs.) but well in any case, always glad to see another vendor support open linux.

Comment

Who the heck is hoping for open Poulsbo/Cedar Trail Linux drivers in 2023? I've got some oceanfront property in Nevada to sell them.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                Who the heck is hoping for open Poulsbo/Cedar Trail Linux drivers in 2023? I've got some oceanfront property in Nevada to sell them.
                i'm done hoping. i think i'll scrap my device.

Comment

I hope that support for the GPUs in TH1520 and JH7110 is not far off.

These are widely deployed RISC-V SoCs with recent PowerVR GPUs. I do not think they are fundamentally different, going by release dates, specs and APIs supported.

Comment

Hmm, IMG AXE-1-16 is part of A-Series/"Albiorix", not Rogue Architecture?

Wonder if rk3368 is covered.

Comment

Working...
                    X