Early-Stage Apple Mesa Vulkan Driver Now Runs VKCube Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Not sure about the validity of that claim. FWIW, the only thing I claimed was that the concentration of transgenders is exceptionally high. You can easily check that. Do a check to see who is Alyssa R., E. Anholt etc. Then pick some other project like the Linux kernel, KDE, Gnome or whatever and do the math. I just find it extremely hilarious that the assumption of a binary gender was brought up as an argument when it's clearly not the case here.
    I have no idea where you get any assumption of binary gender from, or why this would be relevant here. No matter who is involved in the Apple driver, trans women are women, non-binary gender is something different again.

Comment

Kudos to the devs, no matter their personal characteristics.

This progress will possibly allow more distros to consider adopting bare metal support for ARM macs, as the availability of features like 3d acceleration increase over time.

Correct me if iā€™m wrong

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

Also given that writing new code in C instead of Rust requires some combination of ignorance and toxic masculinity, I'm not at all surprised that people lacking both of these (questionable) qualities gravitate towards Rust.
        Keep your gender views out of coding please. It isn't relevant to the subject by any means. Just cause it's new and works doesn't mean it's safe to use, especially when it comes to hardware drivers. As Linus Torvalds put it, just cause Rust is safe is not some absolute guarantee of code safety.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

I have no idea where you get any assumption of binary gender from, or why this would be relevant here. No matter who is involved in the Apple driver, trans women are women, non-binary gender is something different again.
          See the gsedej's comment I cited. Compare the use of the term 'female' with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender...hird_genders_2

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            Keep your gender views out of coding please. It isn't relevant to the subject by any means.
            Come on, a half-joking and purely descriptive statement is not putting "my gender views" into coding in any way.

Just cause it's new and works doesn't mean it's safe to use, especially when it comes to hardware drivers. As Linus Torvalds put it, just cause Rust is safe is not some absolute guarantee of code safety.
            We're not talking about kernel-space drivers here, where there is a relatively immature C<->Rust layer introducing some additional risk. I'm not saying that Rust is perfectly safe either, just that using C instead of Rust is strictly less safe.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

See the gsedej's comment I cited. Compare the use of the term 'female' with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender...hird_genders_2
              Again, I fail to see the relevance of the section of the Wikipedia article you cited to the comment. It still seems to me that you think that trans women have a third or non-binary gender, which is not the case as they have female gender.

Comment

"Hi there wave I'm Ella (She/They)" [rainbow flag included]ā€‹
                These days one should be able to guess certain stuff without looking.

But wait, there's more!
                "and I'm currently working on several projects mostly as part of the Iglunix Linux distribution (Linux with none of the GNU).ā€‹"

Figuring out the cause of the zeal to root out GNU from software is left to the reader.

inb4 the usual accusations, I only believe software systems should be as "singular" as possible (Free Software makes it possible) and certainly not created out of attitude to RMS' perceived sins against certain vocal folks' feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  Keep your gender views out of coding please. It isn't relevant to the subject by any means.
                  I actually is. The moment people don't feel left out and met with hostility, they start creating a wonderful language. Do you think this is just a mere coincidence? No, it isn't. Once you actively work on welcoming all kind of people, you also get better results. Rust is a very good example for this.

So you not seeing this causality just shows that we still have a lot to learn, especially in regards to engaging with other people.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
                    [cutting irrelevant bits]
                    Figuring out the cause of the zeal to root out GNU from software is left to the reader.

inb4 the usual accusations, I only believe software systems should be as "singular" as possible (Free Software makes it possible) and certainly not created out of attitude to RMS' perceived sins against certain vocal folks' feelings.
                    Isn't it a fun technical challenge to create a distribution without relying on GNU packages? Some alternatives to GNU packages are already much better and if it wouldn't be for LLVM/clang gcc would still throw useless error messages to developers.

There are good reason wanting to avoid GNU (the coding style is a big one here btw).

Also, if people behave like assholes/idiots/whatever it's a good reason to stop enabling them or giving them power by using their stuff. We live too long in a "technical" world were human interactions were seen more as a liability than the actual driving force of software engineering.

Human interactions are more important than technical skills if it comes to getting to great results. Too many people ignored this aspect for way too long saying nonsense things like "please stay technical" (which is just a nonsense thing to say for obvious reasons) or "he is an asshole, but creates great stuff" (yeah, if you push out more competent people from your community by being an asshole, that's more or less the obvious result, no?)
                    Last edited by karolherbst; 28 October 2022, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

I actually is. The moment people don't feel left out and met with hostility, they start creating a wonderful language. Do you think this is just a mere coincidence? No, it isn't. Once you actively work on welcoming all kind of people, you also get better results. Rust is a very good example for this.
                      Calling people who use C language as "ignorance and toxic masculinity" isn't doing anyone any good, and is certainly not accepting all kinds of people. There are very good reasons why C is still used over rust, because we know it works. That isn't a hard concept to understand.
                      So you not seeing this causality just shows that we still have a lot to learn, especially in regards to engaging with other people.
                      Calling people names for using the C language isn't what I'd call people skills. If I were Linus Torvalds I would have a mental break down and call you all kinds of names, probably referencing monkeys. Lets not generalize people into derogatory labels, because it can and will get worse.

Comment

Working...
                      X