VK9 Project Stalls As Developer Leaves To Pursue Other Interests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
    My hope is / was that if I actually learned it, there would be an elegance and grace behind the language design that I would learn to love
    you could try same trick with c++

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
      No, in my experience most veteran C++ developers prefer to avoid the standard library (and Boost) when they can.
      that's not "veteran". that's "obsolete". they probably stopped learning c++ in the eighties.
      Originally posted by carewolf View Post
      There is nothing nuts about that. What drives you crazy is when you end up with a large application like Chrome, that has some 20 different string implementations.
      first, any large program can have several implementations of same functionality, regardless of language, that's more speaking of size of program. i'm not familiar with chrome codebase, so i can't comment on it, maybe they are different in some aspect you failed to realize.
      but last c library which i looked at had 3 strlens of same string in 5 lines of code because apparently it is hard to introduce automatic storage duration variable in c90

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        that's not "veteran". that's "obsolete". they probably stopped learning c++ in the eighties.
        Yes, yes newb ;P
        first, any large program can have several implementations of same functionality, regardless of language, that's more speaking of size of program. i'm not familiar with chrome codebase, so i can't comment on it, maybe they are different in some aspect you failed to realize.
        but last c library which i looked at had 3 strlens of same string in 5 lines of code because apparently it is hard to introduce automatic storage duration variable in c90
        You know I was joking right?? But yes, many of the strings do different things and are optimized differently, and many more are from different old projects that have been joined together.
        Last edited by carewolf; 22 February 2019, 03:50 PM.

Comment

vk3d is wine which was started in prehistoric times before first c++ standard was ready.
          Oh boy, I sure loved riding those dinosaurs... those were exciting times!
          Yes, the first ISO C++ standard is 1998, but C++ itself had already been in general use for about a decade before that (by me, for one). I was writing C++ applications using MacApp in the early 90's and Visual C++ apps for Windows NT circa 1993-4 (for certain : I'd written several VC++ apps for NT before Chicago was released - aka Win 95). Wikipedia tells me WINE was first released 1993... so it "could have" been written in C++; certainly D3D had a C++ interface; can't speak to implementation.

Comment

Well I'm not sure its worth a news yet, but it looks like Christopher Schaefer is back working on vk9. There isn't any blogpost yet, just a couple of commits in the last 2 weeks... https://github.com/disks86/VK9/commits/master

Comment

Working...
            X