Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VK9 Project Stalls As Developer Leaves To Pursue Other Interests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VK9 Project Stalls As Developer Leaves To Pursue Other Interests

    Phoronix: VK9 Project Stalls As Developer Leaves To Pursue Other Interests

    While VK9 was the first open-source project to pursue mapping Direct3D over Vulkan, at least for now the project has halted...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Project-Stalls

  • #2
    That's disappointing but understandable. The developer could only work on it as a side project and had only little time to spend on it, so the pace wasn't very great compared to that of DXVK. I hope that he has learned from this project though, and it's also thanks to him that we have a nice little Discord community for the related topics

    I guess we will see if DXUP ends up being faster than wined3d (which might be difficult) and if wined3d-vk becomes viable "soon".

    Comment


    • #3
      I wonder if the lack of interest from other devs may partially be due to the fact it's written in C++:
      https://github.com/disks86/VK9

      Wine is mostly written in C:
      https://github.com/wine-mirror/wine

      It looks like VK3D is also written in C:
      https://source.winehq.org/git/vkd3d....AD:/libs/vkd3d

      Comment


      • #4
        I dot get why GaliumNine should be stacked ot top of Zink on top of Vulkan thus limiting performance with an additional translation layer when it is based on top of Galium and, I persume, it works alerady. Wasn't Galium supposed to be the abstraction that would allow to write state trackers and backends independently and combine them for free?

        The question is retoric ofcourse. If they want to do the job properly. IMO they should translate D3D9 directly to Vulkan which is the future. Also it would be best to do it as part of the DXVK code so as to share the base framework and avoid duplication.
        Last edited by zoomblab; 02-13-2019, 08:01 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm not sure if it has to do with the language C++ since Qt and many other projects with good support have C++.

          Comment


          • #6
            Linux/Open-Source style

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
              I wonder if the lack of interest from other devs may partially be due to the fact it's written in C++:
              https://github.com/disks86/VK9

              Wine is mostly written in C:
              https://github.com/wine-mirror/wine

              It looks like VK3D is also written in C:
              https://source.winehq.org/git/vkd3d....AD:/libs/vkd3d
              vkd3d is basically split from Wine, same devs and all. It's the same style and everything. Not fair example.

              Though, I'd say it's maybe because it uses Boost for no reason and other stupid shit like that.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                I'm not sure if it has to do with the language C++ since Qt and many other projects with good support have C++.
                There seems to be a sizeable portion of the Open Source developer culture that doesn't like C++. I'm one of them.

                There are notable projects that use C++ (VLC, Firefox, QT etc), but they are like silos tacked onto our Open Source systems. As-in: you could enjoy a complete GNU/Linux system without them (imagine: Gnome + systemd + Linux + bash + mplayer + rust-Firefox (eventually) etc).

                I'd personally prefer if none of the software I used was written in C++. I'd be much happier if it was written in almost anything else: C, Go, Swift, Rust or even in an interpreted language like Python, Perl or Ruby, if it was a small app. I can happily & enjoyably learn, read and hack on code written in most procedural/OO languages. However, whenever I look at C++ code I just don't enjoy it and don't feel comfortable. I actually don't enjoy or feel comfortable hacking on Javascript or Java either. All 3 of those languages offend my eyes :P If I absolutely must hack on code in those languages, then it's for a purely pragmatic reason and I find it to be a chore; an activity that I want to end ASAP.

                I know not everyone shares my view. I just find C++ really ghastly. It's so big, ugly & complicated. I can see why people like the power of it and I know that well written C++ code can be both maintainable and performant. However, I think the language tends developers towards ugly, unmaintainable code that isn't necessarily faster than even a Go or Java app.

                Even when someone does make a nice C++ app, I still am put off by it. Being written in C++, Java or Javascript, it will lack this conceptual beauty and elegance that a program written in Python or C can have.

                If you examine this comment from a purely pragmatic viewpoint, then you wont really get what I'm saying. What I'm speaking of is more about my human experience of programming languages and my own high level view of software in general and how C++ fits in with it.
                Last edited by cybertraveler; 02-13-2019, 12:39 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

                  There seems to be a sizeable portion of the Open Source developer culture that doesn't like C++. I'm one of them.

                  There are notable projects that use C++ (VLC, Firefox, QT etc), but they are like silos tacked onto our Open Source systems. As-in: you could enjoy a complete GNU/Linux system without them (imagine: Gnome + systemd + Linux + bash + mplayer + rust-Firefox (eventually) etc).

                  I'd personally prefer if none of the software I used was written in C++. I'd be much happier if it was written in almost anything else: C, Go, Swift, Rust or even in an interpreted language like Python, Perl or Ruby, if it was a small app. I can happily & enjoyably learn, read and hack on code written in most procedural/OO languages. However, whenever I look at C++ code I just don't enjoy it and don't feel comfortable. I actually don't enjoy or feel comfortable hacking on Javascript or Java either. All 3 of those languages offend my eyes :P If I absolutely must hack on code in those languages, then it's for a purely pragmatic reason and I find it to be a chore; an activity that I want to end ASAP.

                  I know not everyone shares my view. I just find C++ really ghastly. It's so big, ugly & complicated. I can see why people like the power of it and I know that well written C++ code can be both maintainable and performant. However, I think the language tends developers towards ugly, unmaintainable code that isn't necessarily faster than even a Go or Java app.

                  Even when someone does make a nice C++ app, I still am put off by it. Being written in C++, Java or Javascript, it will lack this conceptual beauty and elegance that a program written in Python or C can have.

                  If you examine this comment from a purely pragmatic viewpoint, then you wont really get what I'm saying. What I'm speaking of is more about my human experience of programming languages and my own high level view of software in general and how C++ fits in with it.
                  I share many of your sentiments, but I think C++ is good. You can always just use it like C with some handy extensions here and there. Then you find it's a pretty good language (and nobody forces you to use the obscure features of it, either).

                  What's bad about C++ is the standard library, and the fact that most "C++ programmers" will think I'm nuts. That is what sucks about it, both the community, and the stupid standard library.

                  However, please don't tell me you put Rust up there with C in terms of elegance. Not even talking about technical merits now, it's just so freaking ugly to look at. Yuck.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    I share many of your sentiments, but I think C++ is good. You can always just use it like C with some handy extensions here and there. Then you find it's a pretty good language (and nobody forces you to use the obscure features of it, either).

                    What's bad about C++ is the standard library, and the fact that most "C++ programmers" will think I'm nuts. That is what sucks about it, both the community, and the stupid standard library.

                    However, please don't tell me you put Rust up there with C in terms of elegance. Not even talking about technical merits now, it's just so freaking ugly to look at. Yuck.
                    Thanks for your friendly reply

                    I haven't had to hack on Rust code yet and I've only spent a small amount of time studying it. As such I can't actually, fairly comment on Rust. My brief study of it did lead me to the tentative conclusion that it's complicated and hard to read. My hope is / was that if I actually learned it, there would be an elegance and grace behind the language design that I would learn to love. I am perfectly willing to accept this could be a false hope. Can it really be worse than C++ though?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X