Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
    ... wtf, cant ppl be happy these days?
    Well, even if we say how weather will be good tomorrow, for someone that same weather could be shit

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post

Why do you resist good news? It says its supposed to help performance for VK over D3D, wtf, cant ppl be happy these days?
      How is saying "this is nice, does this help with everything or is it for specific use cases" resisting good news? To me it sounds like someone is happy and isn't very keen on the technical aspects of this. That describes me.

I was wondering the same question myself. Not all of us know everything about everything.

Anyhoo...it seems like every two or three days Michael is reporting on something new regarding DXVK. Damn that project is moving along fast and making all of our gaming sessions so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        we can all dream of performance parity some day
        You can dream of higher performance than the original. M$ Directx implementation may not be perfect, and it's very old, not designed for modern hardware.

Comment

its interesting that they work on linux only features
          It's not linux only. A lot of game engines could write fallbacks for DX12 features targeting Vulkan. So, it also applies to previous windows version as well as MacOS, Android, iOS and so on...

And of course, most GPU designers would rather just write Vulkan drivers and let third party libraries wrap around and expose OpenGL or DirectX APIs on all platforms.

Comment

its interesting that they work on linux only features
            I think the opposite.

Other platforms have their own solutions on graphics api's.

Apple have Metal , MS has D3D. They are advising usage of them.

Khronos Group aims to be most preffered graphics api in all platforms available.

DXVK project is the most widely used and cutting edge layer that always shows needs of Vulkan in order to emulate those other api's.

Khronos already has their Portability Initiative in order to provide Vulkan usage everywhere, even in MS Store which only accepts D3D as an api.

So DXVK really shows what is the need in order to get this Portability Initiative works properly , efficiently.

TL DR ; i think those extensions are also beneficial to Vulkan Group's goals.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              You can dream of higher performance than the original. M$ Directx implementation may not be perfect, and it's very old, not designed for modern hardware.
              Another clueless person not knowing the difference between interface and implementation, I see.

Microsoft's Direct3D 11 implementation is very old? You sure about it? You worked for Microsoft and know the internal implementation and when it was last changed?

Nevermind the fact that the bulk of it is implemented directly by the GPU drivers, which are written by... you guessed it, the GPU vendor, not Microsoft.

Oh and before you bitch about the interface being old, guess what? DXVK implements that interface as that's its whole point.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                Another clueless person not knowing the difference between interface and implementation, I see.

Microsoft's Direct3D 11 implementation is very old? You sure about it? You worked for Microsoft and know the internal implementation and when it was last changed?

Nevermind the fact that the bulk of it is implemented directly by the GPU drivers, which are written by... you guessed it, the GPU vendor, not Microsoft.

Oh and before you bitch about the interface being old, guess what? DXVK implements that interface as that's its whole point.
                Not exactly, there is always the possibility for API uplifting (when it's safe) like D3D9_to_11 does and converts the entire D3D9 to multi-threaded-11.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  This situation reminds me of X vs Wayland except different.

Wayland has maintained rigidity and refused to expand the protocol to include features and functions necessary for a complete desktop. So instead every Wayland compositor implements these features differently.

Vulkan on the other hand sees the advantage of focusing on perfection but being practical and adapting so the maximum # of gamer could benefit.

I wish more projects could focus on what's practical instead of what's ideal.
                  This should explain the 2 main mindsets of development: https://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post

It was last changed in June 2010, you can check the very last DirectX redistributable that is still distributed by any windows game released at this moment. That's 8 years ago, when GPUs were graphics devices and not compute devices. Also most of the changes are just new d3dx editions, nothing in the actual core. Most relevant changes were made in 2007, 2 years before DX11 was released. Also if you think DXGI and stuff are just mere interfaces, you might also think Wayland is just a small country where ways live. And x.org is a website, right? Remember, Linux is not a religion, dude, and being an a** about it doesn't take you to heaven.

Comment

Wouldn't that need support by mesa/drivers as well? Or do they already have that?

Comment

Working...
                      X