Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 17.3.1 Released With Around Three Dozen Fixes

Phoronix: Mesa 17.3.1 Released With Around Three Dozen Fixes

Mesa 17.3.1 has been released today as the first point release to Mesa 17.3, the Q4'2017 feature update to Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully, this one installs cleanly on Debian like 17.3, but without the following issue: upon relaunch it doesn't give me the ,``Oops, something went wrong,'' logout button on GNOME 3.26.2. I've been on 17.2.5 because of it.

Comment

I really want to know when vaapi support for AMD GPUs will work with opengl renderer for Kodi. Just tested mesa 17.3 with mpv and vaapi renderer worked, but gpu (opengl) did not for HEVC videos. To be really useful this has to work!

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        I really want to know when vaapi support for AMD GPUs will work with opengl renderer for Kodi. Just tested mesa 17.3 with mpv and vaapi renderer worked, but gpu (opengl) did not for HEVC videos. To be really useful this has to work!
        Don't know about kodi, but it should work with mesa-git + libva-git + mpv-git.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post
          Don't know about kodi, but it should work with mesa-git + libva-git + mpv-git.
          Kodi is a slightly special beast, as it renders everything using opengl.
          Try mpv with the opengl renderer, that's as close as most players can get to kodi.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

Kodi is a slightly special beast, as it renders everything using opengl.
            Try mpv with the opengl renderer, that's as close as most players can get to kodi.
            What i wrote was assuming use mpv's OGL vo + the vaapi egl interop. Kodi will need patches to support the new surface export functions which will be present in libva 2.1 in order to work with amd hw + vaapi, and i don't know if kodi has any yet.

Comment

For me (Debian unstable) Mesa 17.3.0 regressed the performance in Rocket League notably. 17.2.5 worked fine on my R9 280 TAHITI.
              Is there anything known about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Could this be an issue on Plex as well? I've noticed that streaming HVEC videos hammer my CPU even though I have hardware acceleration checked in settings.

RX-480 on Ubuntu (KDE Neon)

Comment

There is a difference between HEVC 8 bit and 10 bit (Main 10). HEVC 8 bit can be decoded with VDPAU too. MPV is very easy to build from source with latest ffmpeg. You should set hwdec and vo to vaapi. While running press i to check decode settings.

Comment

Working...
                  X