FP64 Support Revised For R600g Gallium3D Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
    What do you think the cause might be? Or better yet, where might be a good place to go to find the solution or report the problem?
    Probably freedesktop bugzilla, you will need to do an apitrace, I think that's the name, which records what and how the game is using the opengl api, so the developers can check whats going on.

bridgman marek

Comment

At first glance this sounds texture related, eg missing s*tc library or similar.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Probably freedesktop bugzilla, you will need to do an apitrace, I think that's the name, which records what and how the game is using the opengl api, so the developers can check whats going on.

bridgman marek
        Thanks! I will go there and look up there guidelines and make a post on the issue. Then, once fixed, I can take the laptop to friends for gaming versus my entire desktop.

Comment

I have an ASUS G37JH with a 5870 mobile graphics. It plays some games fine, but in others, certain layers/content will be just black. I see issues with Shellshock Live (Unity), Chivalry (UE3) and Dirt Rally. But then Torchlight 2 and Pillars of Eternity (Unity), play just fine.

Could this FP64 solve the issues I am seeing? What do you think the cause might be? Or better yet, where might be a good place to go to find the solution or report the problem?

Note: This isn't a hardware issue, as I did briefly put Windows on the machine to which it played it all just fine.
          You have HD 5870 and your gpu support hardware fp64 and this software fp64 is not needed for u. This is needed only for cards below your series like hd5500/5600/5700 or 6700/6800. Your card have it. So this should be issues with other things.

Comment

I have an ASUS G37JH with a 5870 mobile graphics. It plays some games fine, but in others, certain layers/content will be just black. I see issues with Shellshock Live (Unity), Chivalry (UE3) and Dirt Rally. But then Torchlight 2 and Pillars of Eternity (Unity), play just fine.

Could this FP64 solve the issues I am seeing? What do you think the cause might be? Or better yet, where might be a good place to go to find the solution or report the problem?

Note: This isn't a hardware issue, as I did briefly put Windows on the machine to which it played it all just fine.
            As per Bridgman's suggestion, try to install libtxc_dxtn or your distro's equivalent.
            I don't think I know a single game that uses FP64, but it is needed to claim to support higher OpenGL versions

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
              You have HD 5870 and your gpu support hardware fp64 and this software fp64 is not needed for u. This is needed only for cards below your series like hd5500/5600/5700 or 6700/6800. Your card have it. So this should be issues with other things.
              It is indeed needed for his notebook since Mobility Radeon HD 5870 has a Juniper aka RV840 GPU which does not support FP64 in hardware.

Comment

My thouht is the same as bridgman it sounds texture releated and open source drivers doesn't support S3TC.
                You need to install libtxc_dxtn for both 32-bit and 64-bit if you use an 64bit linux OS with multilib.
                Some distros handle through package management while others need you to install it yourself.
                Last edited by Nille_kungen; 23 August 2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

bridgman maybe you know if is any hope for fan control for drm/radeon for pre GCN cards like my HD 5850?

Here is few issues:

Last edited by xpris; 23 August 2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    There are a lot of GL 4.x extensions that do not depend on FP64, and Mesa devs didn't care about implementing them. It is unlikely that pushing FP64 would change their mind.
                    if "they" found time to write tens of thousand lines of code to do fp64, surely "they" will care to implement rest of extensions

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      At first glance this sounds texture related, eg missing s*tc library or similar.
                      You were spot on! I have been searching for this issue for some time, not getting anywhere. I have no idea what it was I installed, but it fixed the problem. Didn't even have to reboot, cause "This IS LINUX!".

Thanks to everyone who posted helpful information on the s2tc library. Very much appreciated. I can now play most games on this powerhouse laptop that I fixed up on the cheap, without having to resort to Windows!

Love the Phoronix community! AMD & Ryzen rock! Linux is the best!

Comment

Working...
                      X