Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Patches Emerge For ARB_sparse_buffer

Phoronix: RadeonSI Patches Emerge For ARB_sparse_buffer

Nicolai Hähnle has been working on OpenGL ARB_sparse_buffer support within the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver stack along with the necessary core Mesa changes for this extension as well as some AMDGPU kernel changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really appreciate this but on the other hand the feature is not implemented in any other MESA driver yet. While GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_ldr and GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced are already implemented in i965 which is now officially OpenGL 4.5 and OpenGL ES 3.2 compliant.
    Of course there might already be other people working on this but there are some games that won't start without overriding the version string and few of them have (perhaps) bugs that the devs won't fix as long as the version string shows this version and they don't take RadeonSI seriously.

So to be honest if my driver would just state to be 4.5 compliant it would make me more happy than anything else

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
      I really appreciate this but on the other hand the feature is not implemented in any other MESA driver yet. While GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_ldr and GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced are already implemented in i965 which is now officially OpenGL 4.5 and OpenGL ES 3.2 compliant.
      Of course there might already be other people working on this but there are some games that won't start without overriding the version string and few of them have (perhaps) bugs that the devs won't fix as long as the version string shows this version and they don't take RadeonSI seriously.

So to be honest if my driver would just state to be 4.5 compliant it would make me more happy than anything else
      I'm not sure what you are talking about, the RadeonSI-driver is also OpenGL 4.5 compliant and the OpenGL4.5 (and GLSL 4.5) flags have been enabled for Mesa 17. Check out mesamatrix.net and previous Phoronix articles. I'm not sure they are passing the Conformance tests completely yet (This is the latest article I found on it: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ars-GL-4.5-CTS) but as far as I know, the 4.5 flags are all enabled for it.

Comment

Well that might be true for i965 but on RadeonSI I still have only the 4.5 core profile which I have to use to override the settings, but not the correct version string
        Code:
        server glx version string: 1.4
        client glx version string: 1.4
        GLX version: 1.4
            Max core profile version: 4.5
            Max compat profile version: 3.0
            Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
            Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.1
        OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.1.0-devel - padoka PPA
        OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
        OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.1.0-devel - padoka PPA
        OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
        OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 17.1.0-devel - padoka PPA
        OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10

Comment

Mesa does not implement compatibility profiles, only core profiles.

Comment

What benefits can we, users, expect from these extensions being implemented?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              Mesa does not implement compatibility profiles, only core profiles.
              ... and compatibility profiles are *not* a required part of the OpenGL spec. They were added in the OpenGL 3.x days as a transitional mechanism to give ISVs a bit of time to adapt to the new core profiles... but that was years ago now.

The same people who complained about Mesa being years behind new OpenGL levels should now be complaining about ISVs who are still using compatibility contexts years after core contexts were introduced.
              Test signature

Comment

But the issue I wrote about is not the compat profile string which is also 3.0 but that's accidentally confusing.
                As long as the OpenGL version string is 3.0 some games won't start telling people: "Your OpenGL version is too low!", unless it's overridden. So specific game developers say: "We don't support RadeonSI as long as it's not OpenGL compliant with version 4.5(or other) which we determine by the OpenGL version string, not the core profile string. So we also don't fix bugs for drivers we don't support."

Comment

So specific game developers say: "We don't support RadeonSI as long as it's not OpenGL compliant with version 4.5(or other) which we determine by the OpenGL version string, not the core profile string. So we also don't fix bugs for drivers we don't support."
                  so tell them you will not buy their game until they will check correct string

Comment

But the issue I wrote about is not the compat profile string which is also 3.0 but that's accidentally confusing.
                    As long as the OpenGL version string is 3.0 some games won't start telling people: "Your OpenGL version is too low!", unless it's overridden. So specific game developers say: "We don't support RadeonSI as long as it's not OpenGL compliant with version 4.5(or other) which we determine by the OpenGL version string, not the core profile string. So we also don't fix bugs for drivers we don't support."
                    If they are really doing that, I would say those developers are stupid. That or they are using it as an excuse to not support Mesa.

Comment

Working...
                    X