Mesa 13.0 Released With Intel OpenGL 4.5, RADV Radeon Vulkan Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R00KIE View Post
    That would be reasonable if new laptops weren't being sold with GCN1.0 cards. At the rate new models are introduced you can't in good conscience say that these are old machines. I own one of these machines and right now support for the AMD dGPU is broken with the radeon driver, so I'm pinning my hopes on the problem getting addressed sometime in the future in the amdgpu driver and getting official support.
    We have no plans to do it (abandon SI), so fortunately the issue of whether it is reasonable or not is moot.

What "support for the AMD dGPU is broken with the radeon driver" that you expect to be fixed with amdgpu ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 01 November 2016, 04:11 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag
      I would like to be proven wrong
      I did it.

Now what I get?

Comment

The backside of my RX 470's box mentions Linux support even before Windows support.

Unfortunately I don't have it at hands at the moment to take a photograph.

Comment

That PC's Red Devil obviosly support Linux

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            That PC's Red Devil obviosly support Linux
            If the Red Devil is with us, who is against us?

Comment

Potentional problem with putting that on boxes is because average Joe might think that DirectX, LiquidVR, FreeSync, and many other features, blah, blah are also supported on Linux

So from high expectation if he dare to try Linux first time, in Joe eyes it can actually easely rose to "nothing"

Comment

The newer Sapphire Fury box states "Supported operating systems include Linux, Windwos 10, Windown 8.1 and Windows 7"

But the older 280X is missing Linux support on the box, so it got added on newer generations.

Comment

OK where is driver there on that Linux, where is Radeon Software and where is WattMan

Instead of clickable GUI Joe get question "can you bisect an issue?"

Comment

I'm using ubuntu 16.10 on a notebook with AMD APU A10 8700P.
                    now i'm using padoka PPA and i've noticed a performance inmprovments on Warhammer 40'000 dawn of war II (the benchmark inside the game has better max and avg fps).
                    with mesa 12.0.3 I must play on 1280x720, instead with padoka ppa i can play 1366x768 (and i've higher fps than mesa 12.0.3 on 1280x720).

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Other than radv (which we had not planned on) what is it that you want from amdgpu ? You are talking about performance and "just work"ing but performance is essentially the same between radeon and amdgpu kernel drivers and all the test coverage is on radeon.
                      I would love to see native support that isn't "experimental" for GCN 1.0/1.1 so I could finally try RADV or even the closed source Vulkan driver. But since I'm planning to buy a whole new system once Zen and Vega are released, I'm more interested in seeing DAL mainlined as I want to upgrade my monitor to something Freesync capable and I use Kodi over HDMI every day to watch media on my TV and to play steam in big picture mode, so it's a nonstarter without audio support.

So for me, personally this is my priority:
                      1) DAL
                      2) Open source the Vulkan driver and/or improve the RADV effort.
                      3) Open source WattMan or at least bring it to Linux in some form.
                      4) Proper GCN 1.0/1.1 support

Comment

Working...
                      X