No announcement yet.

AMDGPU-PRO 16.40 vs. Linux 4.8 + Mesa 13.1-dev Driver Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW better to forget about Fire(XYZ) naming (i guess that might be a reason pretty name is not exposed) since new professional line is Radeon Pro.

Comment

Michael, is your R9 290 still regressed on AMDGPU? How much do I have to tip you to get you to bisect/test it? Or report a bug on it? It's so sad to not see any R9 290s in your tests anymore.

Comment

If amdgpu is compiled by default for CI MIchael would R9 290 often i guess

Maybe week ago I had total GPU lockup same second as soon as i try to using vdpau on Kabini/Kaveri APUs... CI is not without issues on amdgpu really

Comment

But that all development, probably the best one can get fro CI is Ubuntu default... mesa 12 + llvm 3.8 on radeon/dri2 or amdgpu-pro on lts yeah

I always recommend stable things for average Joe, even Debian 8 still with fglrx that is most stablier CI... with mention that that does nave UVD but have CL2

Comment

How did you install AMDGPU-PRO 16.40 on kernel 4.8?
            I get a failed to create symbolic link error on Ubuntu 16.10

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              So by any perspective the "Pro" driver IS NOT PROFESSIONAL... it is ANTI-Professional
              Anything that appeals to companies in one way or another is generally called "professional". Companies need their unmaintained 20-year old code base that was written against 20-year old drivers to work together with some 5-year old middleware that was written with the bugs of the drivers from 5 years ago in mind, and for that they need a driver that implement all these bugs correctly. Mesa can't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                So by any perspective the "Pro" driver IS NOT PROFESSIONAL... it is ANTI-Professional
                The "PRO" in AMDGPU-PRO refers to FirePRO.

I'm going to dance over the question of what the "PRO" in FirePRO means
                Last edited by bridgman; 01 November 2016, 04:10 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  The "PRO" in AMDGPU-PRO refers to FirePRO.
                  Still AMDGPU-PRO nowhere listed FirePRO cards as supported, but actually consumer ones

Serve the same thing as FGLRX (FireGL and Radeon for X).

As of july this year as Fire brending is putted on fire , and naming is now Radeon PRO - it means it refers to and serve all Radeons, so PRO means it support all the chips

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Still AMDGPU-PRO nowhere listed FirePRO cards as supported, but actually consumer ones
                    Correct. The workstation features are going in now. Once that is done, AMDGPU-PRO will replace Catalyst Linux as the workstation (FirePRO) driver.

In the meantime we started shipping early releases of the stack because it was useful for users of consumer cards.

We could have called it AMDGPU-GOING-TO-BE-PRO initially but it's hard getting things like that past Legal.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 01 November 2016, 06:04 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                      ... some of the special PRO features that might not make it to open source such as freesync ...
                      This.

Comment

Working...
                      X